Undoing the Way We See Things Now
There is no peace except the peace of God.
- Seek you no further. You will not find peace except the peace of God. Accept this fact, and save yourself the agony of yet more bitter disappointments, bleak despair, and sense of icy hopelessness and doubt. Seek you no further. There is nothing else for you to find except the peace of God, unless you seek for misery and pain.
- This is the final point to which each one must come at last, to lay aside all hope of finding happiness where there is none; of being saved by what can only hurt; of making peace of chaos, joy of pain, and Heaven out of hell. Attempt no more to win through losing, nor to die to live. You cannot but be asking for defeat.
- Yet you can ask as easily for love, for happiness, and for eternal life in peace that has no ending. Ask for this, and you can only win. To ask for what you have already must succeed. To ask that what is false be true can only fail. Forgive yourself for vain imaginings and seek no longer what you cannot find. For what could be more foolish than to seek and seek and seek again for hell, when you have but to look with open eyes to find that Heaven lies before you, through a door that opens easily to welcome you?
- Come home. You have not found your happiness in foreign places and in alien forms that have no meaning to you, though you sought to make them meaningful. This world is not where you belong. You are a stranger here. But it is given you to find the means whereby the world no longer seems to be a prison house or jail for anyone.
- Freedom is given you where you behold but chains and iron doors. But you must change your mind about the purpose of the world, if you would find escape. You will be bound till all the world is seen by you as blessed, and everyone made free of your mistakes and honored as he is. You made him not; no more yourself. And as you free the one, the other is accepted as he is.
- What does forgiveness do? In truth it has no function and does nothing. For it is unknown in Heaven. It is only hell where it is needed, and where it must serve a mighty function. Is not the escape of God’s beloved Son from evil dreams that he imagines, yet believes are true, a worthy purpose? Who could hope for more; while there appears to be a choice to make between success and failure; love and fear?
- There is no peace except the peace of God, because He has one Son who cannot make a world in opposition to God’s Will and to his own, which is the same as His. What could he hope to find in such a world? It cannot have reality, because it never was created. Is it here that he would seek for peace? Or must he see that, as he looks on it, the world can but deceive? Yet can he learn to look on it another way and find the peace of God.
- Peace is the bridge that everyone will cross to leave this world behind. But peace begins within the world perceived as different and leading from this fresh perception to the gate of Heaven and the way beyond. Peace is the answer to conflicting goals, to senseless journeys, frantic, vain pursuits, and meaningless endeavors. Now the way is easy, sloping gently toward the bridge where freedom lies within the peace of God.
- Let us not lose our way again today. We go to Heaven, and the path is straight. Only if we attempt to wander can there be delay and needless wasted time on thorny byways. God alone is sure, and He will guide our footsteps. He will not desert His Son in need, nor let Him stray forever from his home. The Father calls; the Son will hear. And that is all there is to what appears to be a world apart from God, where bodies have reality.
- Now is there silence. Seek no further. You have come to where the road is carpeted with the leaves of false desires, fallen from the trees of hopelessness you saw before. Now are they underfoot. And you look up and on toward heaven, with the body’s eyes but serving for an instant longer now. Peace is already recognized at last, and you can feel its soft embrace around your heart and mind with comfort and with love.
- Today we seek no idols. Peace cannot be found in them. The peace of God is ours, and only this will we accept and want. Peace be to us today. For we have found a simple, happy way to leave the world of ambiguity, and to replace our shifting goals and solitary dreams with single purpose and companionship. For peace is union, if it be of God. We seek no further. We are close to home, and draw still nearer every time we say:
There is no peace except the peace of God, and I am glad and thankful it is so.
Personal Notes and Application: There is no peace except the peace of God, and I know this. I woke up this morning feeling so lost and a bit hopeless in the world, thinking of the Russian experience of orphaned and ill-cared for children; how bleak and utterly hopeless it is here in the world, and how fatalistic my thoughts are about what we call life. I wondered how God could let us suffer through this – when I wrote a novel, I found it painful to put my characters through the pain and suffering that happens even in the fictional realm. There was this hard spot then, I will admit, toward being in a body and going through all the weird, driven, snotty, bloody stuff that goes on, and frankly I have had it easy in comparison with a lot of the people and animals that have suffered through this.
James was struck this morning over the news of a poor cat that had been used as a fireworks display and had to have its little paws amputated, and that alone is heartbreaking – let alone what happens to babies and to grown men in prison and well, you know the list goes on. There is no peace except the peace of God, and of course God’s peace cannot come to an illusion, truth cannot inform an illusion and peace cannot be found in hell. I get this and I am glad and thankful it is so because if peace could be found here, we would want to stay, and even as it is, we have pleasures and institutions, and relationships that would bid us stay. We set up camp here in hell and want to bring heaven to hell, and it cannot be. Reality does not come to unreality.
This morning while going through that spot of bleakness and hopelessness and a grudge toward God, I realized: Oh! All I have to do is ask Him to deliver me from it. To deliver us from it. I can’t go if everyone doesn’t come, and I am glad that this is so. Why would I want to go if everyone else got left behind in this? It would hardly be Heaven without my beloved Ones. And so I ask Dear Lord, to deliver us. To give us Your Peace – not in idols, not in illusion, only in You. I have found a simple, happy way to leave the world of ambiguity and to replace my shifting goals and solitary dreams with single purpose and companionship. For peace is union, if it be of God. I seek no further. Let this be true in my life Holy Spirit, I pray. Let this be true in my life. I do not like this shifting thing inside of me, how I want this and this and this from the world, and yet I want only You. Let me see once and for all the world for what it really is and let me give it up completely, is my prayer and yet this prayer frightens me, for I know what the world is. I know the devouring scourge of it, the menace at its foundation, the ego’s vapidity and rage. I know the emptiness, the black hole of it, the loneliness and despair. I don’t want to know any more about it, I just want to take what I know and have experienced so far and let that be enough for me to give it up entirely. I want the peace of God. I can hardly blame God for the vapidity and cruelty of the miscreation, the nightmare world, the separation that is not a separation but a dream of separation. Thank God it is only a dream. Thank God it is in time and only time, a little revolving planet set apart from eternity for a while. There is no peace except the peace of God.
My mind is being illuminated at this time and the Holy Spirit instructs me to take the time to get this down as best as I can… We left heaven to make our own way, there was discord and we sided with the fallen one, the one who wanted specialness and could not bear to share his glory with others, who wanted to be the favorite. I know that this is true because I have experienced this from little up, that insufferable desire to be loved the most – that which we seek in every special relationship that we chase and hold on to for dear life, the ones that hurt and disappoint us the most and give us cause for outrage, despair, murder, revenge, and suicide – that ongoing drama that has plagued the world and its limited resources and sense of banding together to survive and thrive in a world of limits. It all started with wanting specialness and favoritism and forsaking union.
Instead of destroying those who sought specialness, God gave them “time,” the whole purpose of time is to teach that there is no specialness and why. There can be no favorites, there can be no competition, there can be no ongoing-ness, no eternity, that could ever include the outcome from specialness – that would demand worship, sacrifice, outrage, despair, infighting, war, murder, revenge, and self-mutilation. And so the ones who left have done their best to re-create heaven with bodies and with physical matter and because we are Sons of God, we have managed to create this illusion of life, because it can’t be called life because there is death, there is suffering, there is ongoing chaos and despair because specialness breeds all manners of shortages. We see it starkly in nature, there is, for example, limited and unreliable weather – some times people and animals and plants thrive, other times they either starve, suffer, die, and even whole species go extinct because of cosmic “disasters,” or drought or floods. It is never-ending in the cycle of death – there are millions of ways to kill us off, our “Special Ones” have devised all manner of ways to torture us and keep us in line. There is no real pleasing them. They give us a long list of do’s and don’ts, and sometimes the doers are “blessed,” and sometimes the don’t-ers are blessed, and in the end, our “Special Ones” enthrall themselves with throwing us all into the fiery pit of hell to be tormented forever and ever, and they call themselves god and demand our tithes and offerings and blood and sacrifices and our young boys and our young girls. They build cathedrals to exalt their many faces and huge vaults to store their treasures and rape and plunder our little boys and our little girls and call it serving God. They are not even happy letting us be born and suffer and grow old and die, they have devised eternal hell-fire and brimstone to frighten us after our death and to keep us serving the false and tricky and mean god while we are still “alive” and kicking. They write ridiculous books and call them holy and demand that people compete with their gods and for their gods and do all manner of dastardly deeds to convince others to serve their gods instead of the ones they were born to serve. In every single institution devised by the Special Ones, there is scarcity, meanness, exclusivity, and ridiculous rules and regulations at its base at the very best; and a devouring and ravaging demon at worst. But no one gets out alive. And then only to come back again and again and again.
Those who see it for what it is are called all manner of names and strung up and crucified at worst, at best they are vilified and mocked and tortured and reviled to teach them a lesson of imprisonment and despair. The peace of God is nowhere to be found – only semblances of it are allowed here and there at very great cost to all who would chase after it, in order to maintain the illusion of peace and to maintain the illusion that peace can ever be found in such a place. And once this “peace” is attained, it must be guarded because other people want what you have paid the price for and the Special Ones demand more and more of a sacrifice for the gated communities of the world. We see it in our marriages – the younger woman coming in and wanting what the older woman has established and worked hard for years to attain; we see it in nature: the younger and more virile lion taking over the pride; we see it in wealth – the kidnapped children and the millions of dollar ransoms; we see it in healthcare – the “protection money” collected to pretend to keep one’s body healthy – the list goes on. There is no peace except the peace of God. There is no love except the Love which is God. There is no joy except the joy of God. Once we get this, we can escape this world by no longer expecting to find peace, and love and joy here. We can go right to the Source of Love and Peace and Joy. We can laugh with mirth over anything that happens in time. It really and truly doesn’t matter. And once it ceases to matter, then we are free of it. We can always see where we are by how much any of this matters to us – the special relationships, the wars, the shortages, the thoughts of vengeance, the shattered lives, the deaths, the diseases, the plagues, and the things that pose as good as well – the food, the restaurants, the amusements, the movies, the books, the this and the that – it is all a ploy to keep us trapped in the illusion.
Deliver us is my prayer and your prayer and our prayer together because as we are delivered, so are our fellows. In Jesus name. Amen.