II. SECTION 9. What is the Second Coming?
- Christ’s Second Coming, which is as sure as God, is merely the correction of mistakes, and the return of sanity. It is a part of the condition that restores the never lost and re-establishes what is forever and forever true. It is the invitation to God’s Word to take illusion’s place, the willingness to let forgiveness rest upon all things without exception and without reserve.
- It is the all-inclusive nature of Christ’s Second Coming that permits it to embrace the world and hold you safe within its gentle advent, which encompasses all living things with you. There is no end to the release the Second Coming brings, as God’s creation must be limitless. Forgiveness lights the Second Coming’s way because it shines on everything as one. And thus is oneness recognized at last.
- The Second Coming ends the lessons that the Holy Spirit teaches, making way for the Last Judgment, in which learning ends in one last summary that will extend beyond itself, and reaches up to God. The Second Coming is the time in which all minds are given to the hands of Christ, to be returned to spirit in the name of true creation and the Will of God.
- The Second Coming is the one event in time which time itself can not affect. For every one who ever came to die, or yet will come or who is present now, is equally released from what he made. In this equality is Christ restored as one Identity, in which the Sons of God acknowledge that they all are one. And God the Father smiles upon His Son, His one creation and His only joy.
- Pray that the Second Coming will be soon, but do not rest with that. It needs your eyes and ears and hands and feet. It needs your voice. And most of all, it needs your willingness. Let us rejoice that we can do God’s Will and join together in its holy light. Behold, the Son of God is one in us, and we can reach our Father’s Love through Him.
Growing up Pentecostal, the Second Coming of Christ was only a joyous event for the elect of God. As a child I would fearfully study this picture which hung in our living room, identifying more with the poor folks who got left behind than the ones in the spotless robes. One moment they would be grinding flour at the mill, washing dishes at the sink, snapping peas open on the porch and the next off they would go floating up toward Jesus while the sinners who didn’t believe in Christ would be left behind wondering what in the world happened to them.
My beloved mother warned me repeatedly that if I ever came home from school and didn’t find her, she had probably gone up in the Rapture. If I didn’t join her, I had nobody to blame but myself. Hence my panic when I came home from school one day, and she was not there. There was no note explaining her absence, although her station wagon was parked in its usual spot in the driveway. There was her pocketbook beside the bed. There was her mug of tea with the used tea bag perched on the little saucer underneath. There I was, left behind at the mercy of the Antichrist! I would have to find a cave to live in and subsist on wild berries and dandelion leaves, hoping that the Beast didn’t come after me and tattoo the dreaded 666 on my forehead or hand.
My worries were put to rest when she and her friend Lois came breezing in about a half-hour later, clucking over my angst.
Today’s lesson informs us that the Second Coming of Christ is a happy event for all. Merely correction of mistakes and return to sanity, the Second Coming is the willingness to forgive without exception and reserve. No more hard spots toward this one or that one, old crooks and cruel dictators, disloyal friends and dishonest relatives, all mistakes – yours, mine, and ours – all forgiven without reserve. There is no end to the release this forgiveness brings – God’s creation has no limits, there are no barriers, and we are one.
There is no more need for Holy Spirit’s direction because in one final sweep, we who thought we knew it all, actually do know it all – for our minds are given to Christ and returned to spirit. Can you imagine? No more guessing, theorizing, hypothesizing. We know it all.
Time cannot affect the Second Coming. It is going to happen to everyone who came here to die – whether it was past, present, or future. We are all released from what was made here to our true Identity, where we recognize that we are one with all of God’s creation. Dare we believe what our lesson tells us? We are God’s only joy!
When we pray the Lord’s Prayer – Our Father, Who is in Heaven, Holy is your name. Your Kingdom come; Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven… we are praying the Second Coming. Section Nine urges us to give our eyes and ears, our hands, feet, and voice to the Second Coming, the Kingdom come. But most of all, God’s Kingdom needs our willingness. Let us be happy to do God’s Will, to unite in the light of God’s Kingdom come.
Dear Heavenly Father, We can only give You our
willingness. We offer our eyes and ears,
our hands and feet and voice to You. We pray
for the Second Coming because this world is not and never was our home. We were born homesick for a place and an
Order that does not exist here. Our bodies
have not been and never will be particularly holy, blessed, or divinely
inspired. All we have is our faith in the
Son of God, God’s only joy. He is one in
us, and it is through Him that we reach our Father’s Love. And so we pray God’s Will be done on earth as
it is in Heaven, in time as it is in eternity, in our mortal bodies as it is in
our immortal spirits. In Jesus’
 A Course In Miracles, Workbook for Students, 9. What is the Second…Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition, p. 449