Part 1 Undoing the Way We See Things Now
Lesson 97 I Am Spirit.
- Today’s idea identifies you with your one Self. It accepts no split identity, nor tries to weave opposing factors into unity. It simply states the truth. Practice this truth today as often as you can, for it will bring your mind from conflict to the quiet fields of peace. No chill of fear can enter, for your mind has been absolved from madness, letting go illusions of a split identity.
- We state again the truth about your Self, the holy Son of God Who rests in you; Whose mind has been restored to sanity. You are the spirit lovingly endowed with all your Father’s Love and peace and joy. You are the spirit which completes Himself and shared His function as Creator. He is with you always, as you are with Him.
- Today we try to bring reality still closer to your mind. Each time you practice, awareness is brought a little nearer at last, sometimes a thousand years or more are saved. The minutes which you give are multiplied over and over, for the miracle makes use of time, but is not ruled by it. Salvation is a miracle, the first and last; the first that is the last, for it is one.
- You are the spirit in whose mind abides the miracle in which all time stands still; the miracle in which a minute spent in using these ideas becomes a time that has no limit and that has no end. Give, then, these minutes willingly, and count on Him Who promised to lay timelessness beside them. He will offer all His strength to every little effort that you make. Give Him the minutes which He needs today, to help you understand with Him you are the spirit that abides in Him, and that calls through His Voice to every living thing; offers His sight to everyone who asks; replaces error with the simple truth.
- The Holy Spirit will be glad to take five minutes of each hour from your hands and carry them around this aching world where pain and misery appear to rule. He will not overlook one open mind that will accept the healing gifts they bring, and He will lay them everywhere He knows they will be welcome. And they will increase in healing power each time someone accepts them as his thoughts and uses them to heal.
- Thus will each gift to Him be multiplied a thousand-fold and tens of thousands more. And when it is returned to you, it will surpass in might the little gift you gave as much as does the radiance of the sun outshine the tiny gleam a firefly makes an uncertain moment and goes out. The steady brilliance of this light remains and leads you out of darkness, nor will you be able to forget the way again.
- Begin these happy exercises with the words the Holy Spirit speaks to you and let them echo round the world through Him: Spirit am I, a holy Son of God, free of all limits, safe and healed and whole, free to forgive, and free to save the world. Expressed through you, the Holy Spirit will accept this gift that you received of Him, increase its power and give it back to you.
- Offer each practice period today gladly to Him. And He will speak to you, reminding you that you are spirit, one with Him and God, your brothers and your Self. Listen for His assurance every time you speak the words He offers you today and let Him tell your mind that they are true. Use them against temptation and escape its sorry consequences if you yield to the belief that you are something else. The Holy Spirit gives you peace today. Receive His words and offer them to Him.
Notes and Personal Application: Christ tells us in our lesson today that we are spirit. We are Sons of God, not limited by the flesh, safe from all harm, healed and whole. We are free to forgive and free to save the world. When we state the truth to ourselves, we restore our minds to sanity. We relieve our troubled minds from conflicting thoughts that arise when we hold fast to our split-identity. We are not flesh; we are spirit! We may live in the flesh, but it is not our reality. Our reality is spirit.
Jesus says that each time we say this idea we bring reality closer to our mind. The ego’s hold loses its grip upon our enchanted minds and we begin to see it for what it is, a made-up version of our real Selves which would keep us trapped in bodies caught up in time. Jesus teaches us today that the minutes we give to our practices are multiplied many times for the miracle makes use of time – but is not ruled by it. Salvation from time is the first miracle and the last miracle that we will ever really need because it releases our mind from the spell of darkness, the ego’s shadow, the hopeless go-rounds we call reality.
We are the spirit. In our minds is the miracle where time stands still. We spend a minute in practicing our ideas which becomes a time that has no limit and no end. God loves us, each one. He will offer all His strength to every little effort we make to return to Him, to know Him, to be released from the nightmare of separation.
The beautiful thing about our five-minute, hourly exercises is that Holy Spirit accepts them from us and distributes them all around the world where pain and misery appear to rule. The Lord promises that He will not overlook one open mind that accepts the healing they bring, who welcomes them. And like all things of the spirit, they increase in power each time someone accepts them as their own and uses them to heal.
Sometimes James and I forget. We skip our devotional, or we forget about the five-minutes at the beginning of the hour, even with all of our fingertip technology designed to keep us on track. We put other things first. We blame our free-spirited natures, our jobs, the chickens, hunger, the grandkids – whatever and whoever may be around to take the fall for why we forget our practice. But there is really no excuse because this is our salvation. This is the steady brilliant light that leads us out of darkness and makes certain that we will never forget the way again!
Today we begin our exercises by reminding ourselves of who we are: “I am spirit. I am a holy son of God. I am free of all limits. I am safe and healed and whole. I am free to forgive. I am free to save the world.” We set the timer for five minutes. We meditate upon the idea for the day, training our minds to keep focused, not to drift off into thinking its usual multitude of conflicting thoughts that call for immediate and constant attention. This is not easy. We had become used to gratifying our demanding appetites for stimulation, for entertainment, for bits of this and bits of that at the expense of our spirits which subsist on wholeness and holiness. It is not easy to live for one’s spirit in a material world designed to keep us blind to our reality in Christ. These five-minute meditations offer us a shield against all temptation to believe that we are something other than what we are.
We accept peace today from Holy Spirit. We receive His words and offer them to Him to share with others who are calling for His truth. God’s blessing upon your practice. God’s Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.
 A Course in Miracles. Workbook for Students. Lesson 97 I am spirit. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992). pp. 172-173.