Part 1 Undoing the Way We See Things Now
Lesson 102 I share God’s Will for Happiness for Me.
- You do not want to suffer. You may think it buys you something and may still believe a little that it buys you what you want. Yet this belief is surely shaken now, at least enough to let you question it, and to suspect it really makes no sense. It has not gone as yet but lacks the roots that once secured it tightly to the dark and hidden secret places of your mind.
- Today we try to loose its weakened hold still further and to realize that pain is purposeless, without a cause and with no power to accomplish anything. It cannot purchase anything at all. It offers nothing and does not exist. And everything you think it offers you is lacking in existence, like itself. You have been slave to nothing. Be you free today to join the happy will of God.
- For several days we will continue to devote our periods of practicing to exercises planned to help you reach the happiness God’s Will has placed in you. Here is your home, and here your safety is. Here is your peace, and here there is no fear. Here is salvation. Here is rest at last.
- Begin your practice periods today with this acceptance of God’s Will for you: I share God’s will for happiness for me, and I accept it as my function now. Then seek this function deep within your mind, for it is there, awaiting but your choice. You cannot fail to find it when you learn it is your choice, and that you share God’s Will.
- Be happy, for your only function here is happiness. You have no need to be less loving to God’s Son than He Whose Love created him as loving as Himself. Besides these hourly five-minute rests, pause frequently today, to tell yourself that you have now accepted happiness as your one function. And be sure that you are joining with God’s Will in doing this.
Notes and Personal Application: Happy Easter! Or as Cousin Bonnie greeted me today on the phone – Happy Resurrection Day! Today Jesus tells us to share God’s Will of happiness for us. During our devotion today I shared with James how yesterday’s meditation began to impact my consciousness last year around this time. I had been going about my daily routine, and doing my five-minute meditations on the hour, and the idea that I never had to suffer again had struck me as a bit insane. Just living in the world is suffering if you ask me, I told Jesus a bit testily. I can share God’s Will for my happiness but that doesn’t mean that I am going to be happy. And then Holy Spirit showed me how purposeless is pain, that it has no cause, and absolutely no power to accomplish a thing.
How do we imagine sharing God’s Will for happiness? When we share God’s Will for happiness, we experience a deep sense of safety, security, confidence, bliss. We accept and enjoy abundance of all good things. Our lives take on order and holy organization, the clutter and mishmash of split ends and splintered relationships are smoothed and soothed. We experience sanity. We take part in deep and abiding holy friendships built upon love, honesty, fidelity, trust, fun, and adventure. In our moments we experience forever.
Sharing God’s Will for happiness, we have no fear or concern for anything that would tempt us to turn away, to suffer or be distressed. We know the truth of the matter; we share the truth in love, confidence, and in proof of the witness from heart to heart and from mind to mind. We are restful. God’s Will for happiness is to experience mutuality, expansiveness, and purity of mind and motive. In His happiness we are above suspicion and rebuke.
When we share God’s Will for our happiness it is irresistible to minds trapped in the hellish realm. His Will for our happiness frees us of all that binds. There are no chains or drudgery! We do not experience the sense of futility, despair, and brokenness that the ego offers in place of happiness. We look upon our brothers and see beyond their puny, hapless egos to the perfect Brotherhood of Christ. Here there is no name-calling, hell-sending, and condemnation. In His happiness, love and forgiveness end suffering and pain. Happiness saves us from shame and sorrow offered by the body and fills our spirits with recognition of our true and holy Selves, at one with God.
God’s Will for our happiness reunites us with the Kingdom of God, those who have gone before, those who come after – we are all one. Do not confuse happiness with the gaiety and sappiness of the world which is here one moment and blanked out by the next. Happiness is the return of our minds to God, to Love, to Joy, to Peace.
This is God’s Will for us today. This is the day we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus who saves us from the walking-dead identity of ego and calls forth our divinity with Him. Let us share God’s Will for our happiness. When the ego reminds us of who and what it has made of us, we clap our hands with joy because we know the truth. With the resurrection, we can see the meaninglessness of bodies, the purposelessness of sin. We see the needlessness to sacrifice our happiness to ego’s greedy, unceasing demands. This Easter we share God’s Will for our happiness.
 A Course in Miracles. Workbook for Students. I share God’s Will…Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992). p. 184.