Part 1 Undoing the Way We See Things Now
Lesson 169 By Grace I Live. By Grace I am Released.
- Grace is an aspect of the Love of God which is most like the state prevailing in the unity of truth. It is the world’s most lofty aspiration, for it leads beyond the world entirely. It is past learning, yet the goal of learning, for grace cannot come until the mind prepares itself for true acceptance. Grace becomes inevitable instantly in those who have prepared a table where it can be gently laid and willingly received, an altar clean and holy for the gift.
- Grace is acceptance of the Love of God within a world of seeming hate and fear. By grace alone the hate and fear are gone, for grace presents a state so opposite to everything the world contains, that those whose minds are lighted by the gift of grace can not believe the world of fear is real.
- Grace is not learned. The final step must go beyond all learning. Grace is not the goal this course aspires to attain. Yet we prepare for grace in that an open mind can hear the Call to waken. It is not shut tight against God’s Voice. It has become aware that there are things it does not know, and thus is ready to accept a state completely different from experience with which it is familiarly at home.
- We have perhaps appeared to contradict our statement that the revelation of the Father and the Son as one has been already set. But we have also said the mind determines when that time will be and has determined it. And yet we urge you to bear witness to the Word of God to hasten the experience of truth and speed its advent into every mind that recognizes truth’s effects on you.
- Oneness is simply the idea God is. And in His Being, He encompasses all things. No mind holds anything but Him. We say, “God is,” and then we cease to speak, for in that knowledge words are meaningless. There are no lips to speak them, and no part of mind sufficiently distinct to feel that it is now aware of something not itself. It has united with its Source. And like its Source Itself, it merely is.
- We cannot speak nor write nor even think of this at all. It comes to every mind when total recognition that its will is God’s has been completely given and received completely. It returns the mind into the endless present, where the past and future cannot be conceived. It lies beyond salvation, past all thought of time, forgiveness, and the holy face of Christ. The Son of God has merely disappeared into his Father, as his Father has in him. The world has never been at all. Eternity remains a constant state.
- This is beyond experience we try to hasten. Yet forgiveness, taught and learned, brings with it the experiences which bear witness that the time the mind itself determined to abandon all but this is now at hand. We do not hasten it, in that what you will offer was concealed from Him Who teaches what forgiveness means.
- All learning was already in His Mind, accomplished and complete. He recognized all that time holds and gave it to all minds that each one might determine, from a point where time was ended, when it is released to revelation and eternity. We have repeated several times before that you but make a journey that is done.
- For oneness must be here. Whatever time the mind has set for revelation is entirely irrelevant to what must be a constant state, forever as it always was; forever to remain as it is now. We merely take the part assigned long since, and fully recognized as perfectly fulfilled by Him Who wrote salvation’s script in His Creator’s Name, and in the Name of His Creator’s Son.
- There is no need to further clarify what no one in the world can understand. When revelation of your oneness comes, it will be known and fully understood. Now we have work to do, for those in time can speak of things beyond, and listen to words which explain what is to come is past already. Yet what meaning can the words convey to those who count the hours still, and rise and work and go to sleep by them?
- Suffice it, then, that you have work to do to play your part. The ending must remain obscure to you until your part is done. It does not matter. For your part is still what all the rest depends on. As you take the role assigned to you, salvation comes a little nearer each uncertain heart that does not beat as yet in tune with God.
- Forgiveness is the central theme that runs throughout salvation, holding all its parts in meaningful relationships, the course it runs directed and its outcome sure. And now we ask for grace, the final gift salvation can bestow. Experience that grace provides will end in time, for grace foreshadows Heaven, yet does not replace the thought of time but for a little while.
- The interval suffices. It is here that miracles are laid; to be returned by you from holy instants you receive, through grace in your experience, to all who see the light that lingers in your face. What is the face of Christ but his who went a moment into timelessness, and brought a clear reflection of the unity he felt an instant back to bless the world? How could you finally attain to it forever, while a part of you remains outside, unknowing, unawakened, and in need of you as witness to the truth?
- Be grateful to return, as you were glad to go an instant, and accept the gifts that grace provided you. You carry them back to yourself. And revelation stands not far behind. Its coming is ensured. We ask for grace, and for experience that comes from grace. We welcome the release it offers everyone. We do not ask for the unaskable. We do not look beyond what grace can give. For this we can give in the grace that has been given us.
- Our learning goal today does not exceed this prayer. Yet in the world, what could be more than what we ask this day of Him Who gives the grace we ask, as it was given Him?
Notes and Personal Application: By grace I live. By grace I am released. By grace I give. By grace I will release. This lesson speaks of time as if it has already ended, that all the things to come are already over and done with and yet there is work to do here, in time, and that I have and you have and everybody has their part to play. It is as if the story is unfolding to be re-enacted until all have received that holy grace that the lesson is talking about. Verse 14 reminds me of my own experiences with the world beyond, the precious love that I experienced in 1992 and for months thereafter, that experience of divine and everlasting love that changed my life, exposed the ego for what it was, and gave me an eternal longing for something that was beyond this world. And the vision I had of Manda who said she is working day and night and developing words for us to express most subtle feelings and emotions and thoughts. “Be grateful to return, as you were glad to go an instant, and accept the gifts that grace provided you. You carry them back to yourself…” Jesus says.
He is saying, Eckie, be happy to return to the world of time, as happy as you were to go an instant and accept those precious gifts that grace provided you. You carry them back to yourself…” And then He goes on: “Revelation stands not far behind. Its coming is ensured. We ask for grace and for experience that comes from grace.” (Experiences that come from grace reminds me of those visions and encounters that give us hope and reality – for example, the vision of myself as the older and certain mother who had had breakfast that morning with the lovely Manda. It was so real that I just knew that it had happened and that this older version of myself was, with grace, giving me a present, and telling me about it. Jesus goes on, “We welcome the release it offers everyone.” It is not for ourselves alone. Each time we share the stories of these experiences, another mind is enlightened and released!
“We do not ask for the unaskable. We do not look beyond what grace can give. For this we can give in the grace that has been given us.” And I think that this is critical for me to get and you to get and all of us to fully understand. We do not ask for the unaskable. We do not have to know everything, because it is not for us to know everything yet. We would have no experience and no capability to understand it all – all we must know is that we are to forgive and to be happy with the gifts of grace that have been given us. We do not have to exceed this prayer. We can trust that we are given exactly what is needed and to be faithful with that and do not sit about and waste our time trying vainly to figure out how things are that have not yet been given us. We can say and pray and share this all we can today until our oneness with God is complete: BY GRACE I LIVE. BY GRACE I AM RELEASED. BY GRACE I GIVE. BY GRACE I WILL RELEASE.
And so for today – for what is pertinent to me this very day, by grace I live, by grace I am released from all that would trouble and torment here on earth. The fear of lifelessness, meanness and rejection that would cower in my heart and mind when I think of family members and friends who are estranged from me. Grace releases me from the fear of racism, of privilege, of poverty, of prosperity, of old age, of youth, of suffering and sickness, of health, of not being as good as others, of being better than others. I am released by grace from every mean and fearful thought that I held toward others for the loveless things they have said and done. I am released, forgiven, and my slate and their slate is clean. I am released because I live by the grace of God. The grace of God releases me from the world of hate and fear. By grace only love, peace, and joy, the good and salvageable will be remembered; all else forgotten never to be brought up again. By grace we live in a realm where no memory except that which has everlasting value and worth will be cherished.. It is by this grace we give and by this grace we release ourselves and others who would fear, hate, and hide from the oneness and holiness of God. Amen.
 A Course in Miracles. Workbook for Students. Lesson 169. Foundation of Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
A spiritual encounter of my older self visiting my younger self – coming to the door, presenting as an older, wiser, more astute version of myself. She greeted me with warmth and kindness and told me not to worry about my daughter. This older me had had breakfast with Manda that morning. The older me assured me that Manda was lovely beyond words and happy doing what she was created to do. Manda understood the loops of time and was able to send the future me to tell the present me of her love, joy, and liberty.
Audio credit: http://www.eckiefriar.com