III. Love Without Conflict 6-10
6. No force except your own will is strong enough or worthy enough to guide you. In this you are as free as God and must remain so forever. Let us ask the Father in my name to keep you mindful of His Love for you and yours for Him. He has never failed to answer this request, because it asks only for what He has already willed. Those who call truly are always answered. Thou shalt have no other gods before Him because there are none.
7. It has never really entered your mind to give up every idea you ever had that opposes knowledge. You retain thousands of little scraps of fear that prevent the Holy One from entering. Light cannot penetrate through the walls you make to block it, and it is forever unwilling to destroy what you have made. No one can see through a wall, but I can step around it. Watch your mind for the scraps of fear, or you will be unable to ask me to do so. I can help you only as our Father created us. I will love you and honor you and maintain complete respect for what you have made, but I will not uphold it unless it is true. I will never forsake you any more than God will, but I must wait as long as you choose to forsake yourself. Because I wait in love and not in impatience, you will surely ask me truly. I will come in response to a single unequivocal call.
8. Watch carefully and see what it is you are really asking for. Be very honest with yourself in this, for we must hide nothing from each other. If you will really try to do this, you have taken the first step toward preparing your mind for the Holy One to enter. We will prepare for this together, for once He has come, you will be ready to help me make other minds ready for Him. How long will you deny Him His Kingdom?
9. In your own mind, though denied by the ego, is the declaration of your release. God has given you everything. This one fact means the ego does not exist, and this makes it profoundly afraid. In the ego’s language, “to have” and “to be” are different, but they are identical to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit knows that you both have everything and are everything. Any distinction in this respect is meaningful only when the idea of “getting,” which implies a lack, has already been accepted. That is why we make no distinction between having the Kingdom of God and being the Kingdom of God.
10. The calm being of God’s Kingdom, which in your sane mind is perfectly conscious, is ruthlessly banished from the part of the mind the ego rules. The ego is desperate because it opposes literally invincible odds, whether you are asleep or awake. Consider how much vigilance you have been willing to exert to protect your ego, and how little to protect your right mind. Who but the insane would undertake to believe what is not true, and then protect this belief at the cost of truth?
In today’s text reading, Jesus tells us that there is no force strong enough or worthy enough to guide us outside our own will. We have freedom with our will, just as God is free. Our will is free forever, Jesus tells us. Many of us get tripped up over the concept of free will, but no will can be free outside of God for a will outside of God’s freedom and light is entranced by darkness and opposition. Let us use our will then to free ourselves from conflict, to ask God in the name of Jesus to keep us mindful of His Love for us and our love for Him. This is a request that God loves because it is His Will. We are guaranteed this certainty of devotion that He bestows upon us and we give back to Him. God is Love and this is the only God there is – we must give up all concepts of gods who are unloving and fearful for they simply do not exist!
All opposition to God’s love for us must be given up. Jesus tells us that we have thousands of scraps of fear that prevent us from knowing God, that prove unwelcoming to truth, that block the Holy One from entering into our consciousness. The light of God’s Love is not a destroyer, a killer, a kicker-down-of-walls. If we build a wall against God’s Light, we will not be able to see through it, but Jesus can step around any wall we build as long as we ask. The key here is to keep a watch over our minds, to look for the bits of fear that we have allowed to come between our consciousness and God. Any scrap that we do not ask the Lord to remove for us, will remain with us and hinder our progress. Jesus loves us. Jesus honors us. Jesus respects us but He will never uphold our false concepts of God. He will never uphold our feeble and unworthy versions of love. He will never relay our ego-based prayers to God. Jesus will never forsake us, but He will wait until we are ready to stop forsaking ourselves by asking for vanity, by asking for that which is not love, by asking for that which is not real or true or worthy of God’s Son. Jesus promises to come when we call without ambiguity, when we want God and only God, when we ask for truth and are willing to turn away from all lies, half-truths, and perversions, when we are no longer satisfied with substitutes and opposites.
We must hide nothing from Jesus. He asks us to be very honest with ourselves. If we want God and anything else, then we are not ready. He does not want us to clean up our act and put on our happy faces and come to Him all dressed up in our best clothes. Neither does He want us in sackcloth and ash on our foreheads. He simply wants us just the way we are, knowing that darkness cannot hide anything from Him. When we ask to know God, to know truth, to be made right and be washed clean – make sure you know what you are asking for, Jesus says. Do not hide your desire to only go as far as it is comfortable to you. Do not hide your fears of becoming a fruitcake for Jesus. Do not be afraid to make a list of your vices. Do not hide your lies, your hypocrisy, your unholy relationships, your fantasies about becoming rich and famous and showing everybody how special you really are. Put it all out there for Him, bring all those mistakes and fears and worries to Him. If you are willing to put it all out there, all the things that make you cry, all the things you love about the world, all the times you go for attack, all that which you think you must defend – you have taken the first step of preparing your mind for knowledge, for Holiness, for Oneness. When we bring our all to Christ, Christ prepares our minds and ushers God back to the throne of our inner kingdoms where He belongs. Only then are we in a position to prepare other minds for the Kingdom.
The ego will deny us our release from its tyranny, but it is not up to the ego. We are given everything. And because we are given everything, we have everything and because we have everything we are everything. There is no distinction between having and being in the Spirit. The only time having and being are different states of mind is when the idea of lack, of scarcity, of something being withheld from us is accepted as truth. Then we go back to the state of being but not having, of having but not being. This is the ego state which does not exist except in a mindset based upon fear. Because we both have the Kingdom of God and are the Kingdom of God, ego has no place in which to divide us, to find a toehold, to insert a lie, to make an opposite.
In the last paragraph of today’s reading, Jesus tells us that the ego is ruthless in its response to the peace, the calm, the quiet certainty of God’s Kingdom. Whether we are awake or we are asleep, the ego opposes God’s Kingdom because in Love there is no place for the conflicts inherent in ego. Jesus asks us to reverse the way in which we have been doing things. Instead of misplacing our loyalty on the split mind of ego and all that opposes God, focus upon our right minds, protect the part of our mind that wills with God, joins with Christ, and focuses on right-mindedness. This is the way to sanity, to peace, to everlasting joy and eternal certainty. Unlike the Spirit, the ego does not wait to be welcomed, it barges in, it takes over, it sets up its little serfdom as a substitute for God’s Kingdom. Our human bodies are designed by and for ego tyranny. But we are not flesh and blood. We are Spirit. And so we watch over our minds and refuse access to the thoughts of ego. If we allow the ego to paint fantasies on the displays of our minds, if we allow the ego to torment us with the past or tempt us to attack our enemies, if we allow our egos to dream of hate, of vengeance, of morbidity of any kind, we are in our wrong mind. If we allow our egos to impede or prevent the call of God on our lives, to make us unhelpful and harmful to others instead of healing and correcting, we have lost our marbles, we are not sane, we are crazy and not in a good way! We will delay our return to God, and we will delay the return of the whole world.
Today we welcome Jesus to guard our minds and keep us pure. For we ask for undivided Love, we ask for the unity of God’s Kingdom come, we pray with God’s Will and not against it. We stand with Christ and we pray in His name, for it is Christ Who shows us the way and leads us Home.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 4 Illusions of the ego III Love without conflict 6-10. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For daily 2021 Workbook Lessons visit www.i-choose-love.com
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com