VI. Time and Eternity 7-12
7. “Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord” is easily reinterpreted if you remember that ideas increase only by being shared. The statement emphasizes that vengeance cannot be shared. Give it therefore to the Holy Spirit, Who will undo it in you because it does not belong in your mind, which is part of God.
8. “I will visit the sins of the fathers unto the third and fourth generation,” as interpreted by the ego, is particularly vicious. It becomes merely an attempt to guarantee the ego’s own survival. To the Holy Spirit, the statement means that in later generations He can still reinterpret what former generations had misunderstood, and thus release the thoughts from the ability to produce fear.
9. “The wicked shall perish” becomes a statement of Atonement if the word “perish” is understood as “be undone.” Every loveless thought must be undone, a word the ego cannot even understand. To the ego, to be undone means to be destroyed. The ego will not be destroyed because it is part of your thought, but because it is uncreative and therefore unsharing, it will be reinterpreted to release you from fear. The part of your mind that you have given to the ego will merely return to the Kingdom, where you whole mind belongs. You can delay the completion of the Kingdom, but you cannot introduce the concept of fear into it.
10. You need not fear the Higher Court will condemn you. It will merely dismiss the case against you. There can be no case against a child of God, and every witness to guilt in God’s creations is bearing false witness to God Himself. Appeal everything you believe gladly to God’s Own Higher Court because it speaks for Him and therefore speaks truly. It will dismiss the case against you, however carefully you have built it up. The case may be fool-proof, but it is not God-proof. The Holy Spirit will not hear it, because He can only witness truly. His verdict will always be “thine is the Kingdom,” because He was given to you to remind you of what you are.
11. When I said, “I am come as a light into the world,” I meant that I came to share the light with you. Remember my reference to the ego’s dark glass, and remember also that I said, “Do not look there.” It is still true that where you look to find yourself is up to you. Your patience with your brother is your patience with yourself. Is not a child of God worth patience? I have shown you infinite patience because my will is that of our Father, from Whom I learned of infinite patience. His Voice was in me as It is in you, speaking for patience towards the Sonship in the Name of Its Creator.
12. Now you must learn that only infinite patience produces immediate results. This is the way in which time is exchanged for eternity. Infinite patience calls upon infinite love, and by producing results now it renders time unnecessary. We have repeatedly said that time is a learning device to be abolished when it is no longer useful. The Holy Spirit, Who speaks for God in time, also knows that time is meaningless. He reminds you of this in every passing moment of time because it is His special function to return you to eternity and remain to bless your creations there. He is the only blessing you can truly give because He is truly blessed. Because He has been given you freely by God, you must give Him as you received Him.
Continuing from yesterday’s post, we can see how “Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord” cannot mean that God takes vengeance upon His Creations. Why would He? How could He? He created us in love and for love; He poured Himself into our Beings. Vengeance does not give us anything; it takes away. It cannot be shared or built upon – for it will always take away. We give it to Holy Spirit, and vengeance is exchanged for forgiveness, which reflects God’s love. As special as it may make us feel to believe that God despises those whom we despise, we who are called of God are called to Love.
Jesus tells us that “I will visit the sins of the fathers unto the third and fourth generation,” does not mean that God punishes us for what our ancestors did. A visit from God can only mean healing, restoration, correction, renewal, or cleansing. While any tribe, clan, or religious group can claim that they are God’s favorites, that they are the only ones who have begat people holy enough to write about God or for God, Jesus tells us that God is fair. No one person or group of people have special favor in God’s eyes. God does not play mean tricks on any part of Creation, nor does He hold grudges or act in any way disrespectful toward all attempts to reach Him, return to Him, and love Him. God is Life; God is Love; God is Light. While those who have gone before us may have sincerely believed that God was fearful, petty, and vengeful, we are here today to be healed from the ego’s interpretations of the Creator. We are visited by God, not to disrespect our loved ones or hold grudges against them for not teaching us the truth, but to be corrected and released from fearful perceptions of our Loving Father. This is their will as well as God’s Will for us.
In my personal life, I have experienced a sense of how happy my mother is that I am not bound, nor do I teach the fear-based doctrines that she believed and taught about God, salvation, and eternal punishment. The hours she spent crying and pleading with God over the souls of her loved ones were torturous to her. The thought of not only those she knew and loved, but those in other countries who had never heard of Jesus weighed heavily upon her. Her salvation was a heavy burden, not the message of light that Jesus promises in the gospel. When she died, she was convinced that she was the only one out of all the people she knew who was going to go to heaven. It broke her heart to think of us missing out on the glories of heaven. The God she believed in evidently could not allow women who wore slacks, makeup, and went to beauty salons past the gateway to heaven. Nor was the Kingdom of Heaven open to couples who were divorced and remarried, Christians who did not “have” the Holy Ghost and speak in tongues, and children who slept with their hands under the covers instead of on top.
These are not beliefs in God that can be shared, passed down, or built upon. They are belief systems that arise from the trickery of the ego who uses guilt, shame, and exclusiveness to swamp our lower minds and keep us in cycles that guarantee its survival. And yet the sincere love and genuine devotion of those who have gone before is reinterpreted by Holy Spirit. We may not be able to build upon such insane beliefs, but we can learn from them. God visits us! Truth and understanding heals us from all distortions of our ancestors and sets them free as it sets us free.
Another case in point are the scriptures that indicate that the wicked will perish. Jesus shows us how all Scripture that would otherwise judge against Creation, condemning, punishing, killing becomes statements of Atonement when we understand all words to indicate punishment and death to simply mean “undone.” All things that are not based upon love, are undone. They are erased, they are no more. Time is swallowed by eternity – all things that happen in it are no more.
Ego does not understand the undoing, because to the ego, undoing is destruction, it is death. Ego will not be destroyed, cast into everlasting torments, or have its little bits plucked out one by one! Because lies and darkness do not create and cannot share, the ego will simply fade away. The part of our mind which believed in its lies returns to the higher mind of the Kingdom where it belongs. We can take as long as want to learn of, practice, and establish the Kingdom mind within us, but there is no place in the Kingdom of Light for fear, distrust, darkness, death, or torments of any kind.
As we begin to open our mind to the light of reason, to the higher mind of Holy Spirit, to accept the love and devotion of our Father, we experience the certainty of our place in His Kingdom. Nobody can take it away. No matter what humanity has made of us, the verdict is and always will be that we are His Sons. All charges against us are dismissed. We have been given Holy Spirit to always remind us of who we are no matter the hot mess we have seemed to make of ourselves here on earth. The Kingdom of God is not complete without you, dear brother. No matter who you are and what atrocities you may have inflicted upon others, God will never give up on you. He has given you Holy Spirit and will never take it away. The world may never forgive us for what we do in the flesh, but when others find us guilty, and refuse to forgive us, they are finding God guilty and refusing their own forgiveness.
God’s love and mercy is certainly not a license to hurt Creation in any way, shape, or form. However, we are left off the hook of guilt and shame. As humans, none of us will ever measure up because we are symbols of the ego. Our flesh and blood do not define us and never will. As we welcome Holy Spirit to shine His light upon our minds, our minds are cleansed of all that is dark, vicious, and harmful. Our ego and all that it wrought in our lives is undone in the eyes of God and in the eyes of the Sonship.
In paragraph 11, Jesus tells us that our patience toward one another is our patience with ourselves. As Christ is formed in our minds, we begin to experience the infinite patience that God has shown to each one of us through Christ. Christ has only exhibited the patience of God toward us. Christ has not forced Himself upon us. He has not interfered in world events. He has not stopped people from falsely using His name or teaching fear and conflict instead of His message of love. He has allowed us the freedom and the liberty to come to the truth by looking for it in places where it will never be found. He has left us to our own devices because our own devices are what we chose over God’s gift.
No matter how long it takes or how many of us are born and die and are born again, the same Voice for God in Jesus is in us, calling us to loving, certain faith in and patience toward humanity, toward the Sonship of God and the Brotherhood of Christ.
Let the last paragraph of today’s text rest in your mind and meditate upon its deeper meaning. Jesus tells us that now we must learn that undying patience produces immediate results. Ask Holy Spirit to illuminate your mind so that you can grasp this concept that Jesus proposes. When we devote ourselves to one another with infinite patience, we exchange time for eternity. When I devote myself to my sister, I am not giving her a deadline, I am not recalling her sins against me, I am not putting myself in a superior position to her or an inferior one. When I devote myself to my sister, I love her with the love of God that overlooks anything she could say or do that would offend me, get on my last nerve, or make me feel small and useless. When I devote myself to my sister, I am saying how worthy she is of my devotion because I perceive her beauty, goodness, generosity, humor, wit, and intelligence. I perceive her innocence and godliness; I let all the ego perceptions that would mar my love for her go. I see her as she really is! I see her past time and ego and human form. And when I devote myself to that which never dies, which never fades, which never gets put on a shelf because of human foibles, time ceases to be. Because in the undying patience and love of God, time becomes meaningless. It is no longer necessary as a learning device when I understand what it is that I came here to learn.
Holy Spirit is not conditional, it is not for one and not the other, it is not earned, and it can never be taken away. Holy Spirit sees past the many separate forms to the unifying content. Holy Spirit does not focus upon the spaces and outlines of the separated perception, but rather spotlights the oneness and unity of all Creation. Holy Spirit cannot be found in books or words or circumstances, experiences, or events; Holy Spirit is in us, as God’s Gift to all and for all. We give Holy Spirit by recognizing Holy Spirit in each other and letting Holy Spirit undo all that would keep us apart, would make us unwell, and keep us from our eternal Kingdom.
Today commit to seeing the light of Holy Spirit in others even as you welcome His light to shine in and through you.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 5 Healing and wholeness VI Time and eternity 7-12. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For daily 2021 Workbook lessons, visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com