V: Healing and the Changelessness of Mind 1-5
- The body is nothing more than a framework for developing abilities, which is quite apart from what they are used for. That is a decision. The effects of the ego’s decision in this matter are so apparent that they need no elaboration, but the Holy Spirit’s decision to use the body only for communication has such a direct connection with healing that it does need clarification. The unhealed healer obviously does not understand his own vocation.
- Only minds communicate. Since the ego cannot obliterate the impulse to communicate because it is also the impulse to create, it can only teach you that the body can both communicate and create, and therefore does not need the mind. The ego thus tries to teach you that the body can act like the mind and is therefore self-sufficient. Yet we have learned that behavior is not the level for either teaching or learning, since you can act in accordance with what you do not believe. To do this, however, it will weaken you as a teacher and a learner because, as has been repeatedly emphasized, you teach what you do believe.
- Healing is the only ability everyone can develop and must develop if he is to be healed. Healing is the Holy Spirit’s form of communication in this world, and the only one He accepts. He recognizes no other because He does not accept the ego’s confusion of mind and body. Minds can communicate, but they cannot hurt. The body in the service of the ego can hurt other bodies, but this cannot occur unless the body has already been confused with the mind. This situation, too, can be used either for healing or for magic, but you must remember that magic always involves the belief that healing is harmful. This belief is its totally insane premise, and so it proceeds accordingly.
- Healing only strengthens. Magic always tries to weaken. Healing perceives nothing in the healer that everyone else does not share with him. Magic always sees something “special” in the healer, which he believes he can offer as a gift to someone who does not have it. He may believe that the gift comes from God to him, but it is quite evident that he does not understand God if he thinks he has something that others lack.
- The Holy Spirit does not work by chance, and healing that is of Him always works. Unless the healer always heals by Him the results may vary. Yet healing itself is consistent, since only consistency is conflict-free, and only the conflict-free are whole. By accepting exceptions and acknowledging that he can sometimes heal and sometimes not, the healer is obviously accepting inconsistency. He is therefore in conflict and is teaching conflict. Can anything of God not be for all and for always? Love is incapable of any exceptions. Only if there is fear does the idea of exceptions seem to be meaningful. Exceptions are fearful because they are made by fear. The “fearful healer” is a contradiction in terms and is therefore a concept that only a conflicted mind could possibly perceive as meaningful.
In the opening paragraph of today’s text reading, Jesus tells us that it is up to us how we use our bodies. While Jesus felt no need to elaborate on the effect of the ego’s use of the body let me elaborate on it for a few sentences just to make it clear what is being said here. The ego use of our body involves pleasure, pride, and separation and ultimate shame. There is never any ongoing triumph in the body – no matter how we dress them up and strut them about and think of them as a source of pride and conquest, in the end there is abasement, humility, shame, and death. Few of us are willing to face these hard facts, we would much rather not think about it, but because of our unwillingness to address this in an honest, forthright way we face the ultimate death of our bodies with a sense of bewilderment, isolation, and despair.
However, when Holy Spirit uses the body as a communication device for God we can bypass the effects of ego’s use of the body. We need to be taught the connection between Holy Spirit’s use of the body and healing because many of us who are called to be healers have no real understanding of our function and remain unhealed ourselves. Jesus tells us that only our minds communicate. We may think we are communicating with our words, our conversations, our body language but this is not communicating anything real – we can talk all night and all day and communicate nothing. We can call it communication, but Jesus calls it a poor substitute because the body is not the mind and behavior is not the level for teaching and learning because we can say and do things that fail to line up with what we really believe. Saying and doing things that do not line up with what we believe does not make us good teachers or learners because we teach what we do believe. In other words, we continue to practice that which denies truth, teaching that which is opposite to truth because we still have misplaced our faith in that which will fail us.
Every single one of us are called to be healers. This is an ability that everyone can and must develop to be healed. Holy Spirit communicates healing and healing alone. If I want to project anything other than healing, Holy Spirit does not share it. For instance, if I perceive you as having taken advantage of my kindness and I build a case against you and talk about you behind your back, complain about you to this one and that one – Holy Spirit does not recognize this as a form of communication – it is all ego blather, blabbing, yapping and yipping about nothing. My body in the service of the ego may think it is hurting you, getting even with you, making you pay for the hurt and disappointment and grievance you caused me, but the only thing it can hurt is your body or your ego, but never the truth about you, never who you are as God’s Son.
When you are hurt by what I say about you in the flesh, you can use this situation for healing or for magic. Healing the situation, you would take it to Holy Spirit and say something along the line of, “Dear Holy Spirit, Eckie has said venomous things about me. I was really hurt by what she said. But upon closer examination of the situation, I can see that what she said and did was not anything that I, too, have not been guilty of saying and doing. I forgive her, because we are the same. She is my teacher even as I am her teacher. We are both God’s Son and both created in perfect love.”
Healing strengthens because it makes one, it wipes out wrongdoing by refusing to hold on to it. It does not trap you and me in an ongoing conflict, but rather sets us both free to recognize our mutuality as God’s Son.
Conversely, when you are hurt by something I have done against you in the flesh, you can use this situation to offer magic. Magic is the belief that healing is harmful. Magic will make you out to be an exceptional person for deigning to forgive me. You will pretend to forgive me because you are a better person than me. Instead of letting the situation heal me and heal you, you will deny that we are the same. You will see yourself as God’s Son and me as the spawn of the devil. You will demand an apology because you are perfect, and I am imperfect. You will put a lot of stipulations upon your forgiveness. You may punish me by withholding love and affection. You may even start a campaign against me, building a side and gathering allies. It is quite apparent that you do not understand God because you still think you have something over on me, that you are better, that you are exceptional, that your flesh has an advantage over mine.
Magic weakens because there is no truth in it. Instead of undoing a mistake, magic makes it real and draws others into a meaningless lie, extending the need for time. It teaches a false belief in God who would give someone gifts that it withholds from others. Instead of wholeness, magic divides and undermines.
As we come to know Holy Spirit as our Guide and Teacher, our healing will be consistent, free of conflict, and whole. We will know that that which comes from God is for everybody and is always available. As we practice inviting Holy Spirit to take the lead in our lives, we will know that Love does not make exceptions. We will know that to heal, is to be healed just as to forgive, is to be forgiven. We will have no fear, no shame, no question about who and what we are in God and what we are called to do in the world.
Today in your devotional practice, commit to developing the ability to heal in your mind and in your heart. Know that this ability is a given and is for everybody – not a chosen few, not an anointed one here and there, but for you and for me as we live out our days in the alternate to God’s Kingdom. Ask the Lord to show you how to put these concepts to practical daily application, inviting Holy Spirit to illuminate your thoughts and deliver you from every conflicting thought and giving you the changelessness of mind necessary for the Gifts of God’s Kingdom.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 7 The gifts of the kingdom. V. Healing and the changelessness of mind 1-5. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For 2021 daily Workbook lessons visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com