IX: The Extension of the Kingdom
- Only you can limit your creative power, but God wills to release it. He no more wills you to deprive yourself of your creations then He wills to deprive Himself of His. Do not withhold your gifts to the Sonship or you withhold yourself from God! Selfishness is of the ego, but Self-fullness is spirit because that is how God created it. The Holy Spirit is in the part of the mind that lies between the ego and the spirit, mediating between them always in favor of the spirit. To the ego this is partiality, and it responds as if it were being sided against. To spirit this is truth, because it knows its fullness and cannot conceive of any part from which it is excluded.
- Spirit knows that the awareness of all its brothers is included in its own, as it is included in God. The power of the whole Sonship and of its Creator is therefore spirit’s own fullness, rendering its creations equally whole and equal in perfection. The ego cannot prevail against the totality that includes God, and any totality must include God. Everything He created is given all His power, because it is part of Him and shares His Being with Him. Creating is the opposite of loss, as blessing is the opposite of sacrifice. Being must be extended. That is how it retains the knowledge of itself. Spirit yearns to share its being as its Creator did. Created by sharing, its will is to create. It does not wish to contain God, but wills to extend Him.
- The extension of God’s Being is spirit’s only function. Its fullness cannot be contained, anymore than can the fullness of its Creator. Fullness is extension. The ego’s whole thought system blocks extension, and thus blocks your only function. It therefore blocks your joy, so that you perceive yourself as unfulfilled. Unless you create you are unfulfilled, but God does not know unfulfillment and therefore you must create. You may not know your own creations, but this can no more interfere with their reality than your unawareness of your spirit can interfere with its being.
- The Kingdom is forever extending because it is in the mind of God. You do not know your joy because you do not know your own Self-fullness. Exclude any part of the Kingdom from yourself and you are not whole. A split mind cannot perceive its fullness and needs the miracle of its wholeness to dawn upon it and heal it. This reawakens the wholeness in it and restores it to the Kingdom because of its acceptance of wholeness. The full appreciation of the mind’s Self-fullness makes selfishness impossible and extension inevitable. That is why there is perfect peace in the Kingdom. Spirit is fulfilling its function, and only complete fulfillment is peace.
- Your creations are protected for you because the Holy Spirit, who is in your mind, knows of them and can bring them into your awareness whenever you will let Him. They are there as part of your own being because your fulfillment includes them. The creations of every Son of God are yours, since every creation belongs to everyone, being created for the Sonship as a whole.
- You have not failed to increase the inheritance of the Sons of God, and thus have not failed to secure it for yourself. Since it was the will of God to give it to you, He gave it forever. Since it was His will that you have it forever, He gave you the means for keeping it. And you have done so. Disobeying God’s will is meaningful only to the insane. In truth it is impossible. Your Self-fullness is as boundless as God’s. Like His, it extends forever and in perfect peace. Its radiance is so intense that It creates in perfect joy, and only the whole can be born of Its wholeness.
- Be confident that you have never lost your Identity and the extensions which maintain It in wholeness and peace. Miracles are an expression of this confidence. They are reflections of both your proper identification with your brothers, and of your awareness that your identification is maintained by extension. The miracle is a lesson in total perception. By including any part of totality in the lesson, you have included the whole.
In today’s text, Jesus tells us that we can limit our creative power by being selfish. In this world we feel as if creativity is a special gift given to special people who can create great works of art, music, design, or literature. While creatives seem to be unique and set apart from the rest of us in the ego realm, all of us are made by the extension of God, Who made to us express and to be Love, Peace, and Joy and all His other wonderful attributes. These are not only God’s attributes, but they are also our attributes. We learn to recognize God’s attributes and ourselves when we express them. We fail to recognize ourselves and God when we withhold love, peace, and joy from any part of creation.
The ego will put up as many barriers as it can to limit the extension of God’s Kingdom. It will get us to make fun or dislike those who have deformities, to feel as if people who need more attention, care, and resources have no right to inflict their excessive needs upon the rest of us, to believe that they have no right to be born. The ego will get us to make bargains with others; getting into selfish, bean-counting, tit-for-tat relationships that keep careful records of what goes out and what comes in rather than the freedom and liberty of creation which creates for the sheer joy, pleasure, and goodwill involved in sharing of Itself.
Holy Spirit mediates between the ego and our true, spiritual Identity. Holy Spirit naturally favors our true Identity which ego takes as having been sided against. While we are still conflicted about who and what we are, our egos will put up a terrible stink about being sided against. It will resist the extension of the Kingdom, but our true Identity will know the truth about what is right and what is wrong. Our true Identity knows that we cannot withhold God’s Kingdom from any part of the Sonship, no matter how the perceptual world may twist and distort the Sons of God in the ego’s efforts for us to limit our love.
Spirit, which is our true Identity, knows its fullness only in the whole of Creation. Spirit remembers Creation’s perfection, its completeness, its equality. The ego simply cannot prevail against the totality of God, the unbelievable beliefs in division, separateness, specialness, selfishness, opposites absolutely have no strength compared to God who creates by sharing all power, by bestowing Everything that He is upon His own creations. Creating is the opposite of taking away. Creating is the opposite of loss just as blessing is the opposite of sacrifice. We have been taught that if we want God’s blessing we must sacrifice something which we deem of value in order to get our requests from God. This may be the way to bargain in the perceptual world, but this is part of the unbelievable belief system of this world.
We must share of ourselves to be as God for we were created to share, and this is the way to create. In the world we create with physical media – in the Spirit we create with the virtues of God. This is how we find our true Selves. If we think we can hoard the attributes of God, rather than share them; if we think we can use the attributes of God to bargain for life’s goodies; if we think that we can go through life loving one part of the Sonship and despising another, we are limiting our creativity through our lack of understanding of God and our Identity in Him.
When we lack joy, when we feel unfulfilled, when we feel depressed and ill, let us remember that the ego’s whole thought system blocks our creativity – it blocks our only function in the world. We will never find fulfillment in selfish pursuits; we were created to create, and this is what we must do. Jesus tells us that whether ego has blocked our awareness of this or not, we are all creators because no matter who we are, we have shared of our true selves with others. Every single bit of goodness we have shared is being held for us, not against us. The ego will never convince God of our unworthiness or our failure to extend His Kingdom. We are not to let the ego convince us of anything less than our great worth to God and His Kingdom.
Today ask Holy Spirit to fill you with confidence in your Identity as God’s Son. Ask Him to help you remember the goodness you have shared which maintains your Identity in Him. Ask Holy Spirit to illuminate this reading to you so that you may understand that who and what you really are is the extension of God and that the love, the joy, the peace and goodwill you extend to others is the expression of this confidence. As we reflect the attributes of God to our brothers, forget the ego’s twisted version that would tell us we are unworthy, we have failed, we are beyond redemption. Let us remember our true Selves. Whether we feel like it or not, today ask Holy Spirit to show you how to share miracles for miracles are lessons in total perception. Each time we deny the ego’s response to our brothers and share thoughts of empathy, acts of kindness, appreciation, and goodness, we are extending it to all of the brothers. We are teaching to learn and learning to teach. This is the extension of God’s Kingdom and it starts with my love for you and your love for me and moves outward, always increasing and never decreasing. This is the promise of God.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 7 The gifts of the kingdom. IX The extension of the kingdom. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For 2021 daily workbook lessons visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com