II. The Way to Remember God 6-10
6. You still want what God Wills, and no nightmare can defeat a child of God in his purpose. For your purpose was given you by God, and you must accomplish it because it is His will. Awake and remember your purpose, for it is your will to do so. What has been accomplished for you must be yours. Do not let your hatred stand in the way of love, for nothing can withstand the Love of Christ for His Father, or His Father’s Love for Him.
7. A little while and you will see me, for I am not hidden because you are hiding. I will awaken you as surely as I awakened myself, for I awoke for you. In my resurrection is your release. Our mission is to escape from crucifixion, not from redemption. Trust in my help, for I did not walk alone, and I will walk with you as our Father walked with me. Do you not know that I walked with him in peace? And does not that mean that peace goes with us on the journey?
8. There is no fear in perfect love. We will but be making perfect to you what is already perfect in you. You do not fear the unknown but the known. You will not fail in your mission because I did not fail in mine. Give me but a little trust in the name of the complete trust I have in you, and we will easily accomplish the goal of perfection together. For perfection is and cannot be denied. To deny the denial of perfection is not so difficult as to deny truth, and what we can accomplish together will be believed when you see it as accomplished.
9. You who have tried to banish love have not succeeded, but you who choose to banish fear must succeed. The Lord is with you, but you know it not. Yet your Redeemer liveth, and abideth in you in the peace out of which He was created. Would you not exchange this awareness for the awareness of fear? When we have overcome fear – not by hiding it, not by minimizing it, and not by denying its full import in any way – this is what you will really see. You cannot lay aside the obstacles to real vision without looking upon them, for to lay aside means to judge against. If you look, the Holy Spirit will judge, and He will judge truly. Yet He cannot shine away what you keep hidden, for you have not offered it to Him and He cannot take it from you.
10. We are therefore embarking on an organized, well-structured, and carefully planned program aimed at learning how to offer to the Holy Spirit everything you do not want. He knows what to do with it. You do not understand how to use what He knows. Whatever is given Him that is not of God is gone. Yet you must look at it yourself in perfect willingness, for otherwise His knowledge remains useless to you. Surely, He will not fail to help you, since help is His only purpose. Do you not have greater reason for fearing the world as you perceive it, than for looking at the cause of fear and letting it go forever?
As we continue with The Way to Remember God, we start with paragraph six which informs us that there is no nightmare that can defeat a child of God in his purpose. This means that God’s Will is going to be accomplished because God is God. We should have no worries, no cares, no frets or concerns in accomplishing our purpose. Jesus tells us not to let our hatred stand in the way of love and I take this to mean that the hatred we feel for those who do not agree with us, the ones who disappoint and hurt those we love, the ones who mock us and seem to take undue pleasure in our sorrow – we are to love with the love of Christ for His Father and the Father’s Love for His Son. While it may seem impossible for us to love the unlovely, the depraved, and the perverted, Jesus tells us to go ahead and extend the love of Christ to all.
For He has awakened in us. The resurrection of Christ is our release from the crucifixion. All of us are doomed to die in the flesh – we may not die on a cross, but we will die, and it will be ignominious no matter how gentle, no matter how painless, no matter how private. There is nothing at all glorious in death whether it is on the battlefield or in a hospital room or through an accident. We are to trust in the help of Jesus for no matter the horror, He did not walk alone, and He does not expect us to walk alone. He carried the cross with the peace of God and that same peace goes with us as we share in His mission to remember God, teach His Love, and join Him in Sonship.
We remember God when we come without fear; when we remember God we remember our own perfection. We can never take up the cross again. We can never grovel and beg and plead with God again. We can never call ourselves wretched and let shame and sorrow mar our peace or jar our joy again. For we will know ourselves as God knows us, as God created us, as His Son. This is our mission in Christ, and we will not fail in this mission because Christ did not fail in His.
In the flesh we are far from perfect! We will say bad words, we will get angry and stomp about like overgrown kids when we do not get our way, we may cuss out the guy who pulls out in front of us. We will let people irritate us and get on our last nerve. Nor will our flesh hold up over the course of time. It will wither and fall from the bone. We will get age spots, wrinkles, and gray hair or even go bald. Our humanity is not perfect, and it is a bit silly to think that it should be. We are perfect in Spirit for God made us in Spirit and in truth. We must never deny our perfection in Him for to deny our perfection in Him is to deny the perfection of God for God can only create like Himself. We must believe in the perfection of God and His perfect Creation for only when we believe it will we accept the truth about who and what we are in Him.
We can take every attribute of God and apply it to ourselves. God does not hoard His attributes to Himself, but He shares them with us, His Son. When we see ourselves as the attributes of God we see ourselves as Peaceful, as Loving, as full of Joy. We accept our ultimate health and wholeness. We are wise for God is Wise. Forever. Accepting. Forgiving. Good. Patient. Kind. Generous. Abundant. Protected. Knowledgeable. Creative. Energetic. Vivacious. Keen. Shining. Bright. Brimming with all that is lovely and good and true. Fun. Adventurous. No fear. No timidity. No brashness. Respectful. Strong. Invulnerable.
No matter what people have made up about God, we can never banish the Love of God, but when we choose to banish fear of God, we must succeed. Whether we know it or not, God is with us. His Kingdom is within us. Jesus asks us to focus our attention on His Kingdom within. God does not put His Kingdom within the unworthy, or for sinners destined for hell. God does not put His Kingdom within us one day and take it out the next because we forgot who and what we are, because the darkness obscured His Light, because we lost our way. His Kingdom is in us to stay.
We overcome our fear of God by looking at it square in the face and realizing that the things we are afraid of simply are not the truth about God or His plan of salvation. We have to look at all the things we have been taught, we must study the things that have been written and called holy, we must question the visions and nightmares that prophecy the end of the world as we know it for these are obstacles to real vision. We must look at everything and say, “Holy Spirit please show me the truth, give me your judgment.” And Holy Spirit will judge truly.
As long as we cling to our old-time religion because it was good enough for our fathers and it was good enough for our grandfathers, and it was good enough for this one and that one – we are hiding our own dissatisfaction and shame over the fear, terror, and sorrow that it evokes. We will know in our hearts that we cannot truly love a God that frightens us and makes unreasonable demands upon His creation, but we will pretend and make excuses for this idol. We will continue to preach a gospel that fewer and fewer people are willing to give their minds and hearts to. We will tell people how God is a God of Love and be ashamed as we try to justify His punitive side and His wrath. Our hearts will grow more fearful for no matter how much we sacrifice, no matter how hard we work, no matter how many people we convince to join our throng, we can never do enough for such a God. We can exchange the fear of God for the love of God only when we ask Holy Spirit to shine His light of truth upon what we have kept hidden in our hearts. With the courage and grace of Holy Spirit we can be free of that which makes no sense, that which does not add up, that which is not love.
This Course is one way in which we can learn to offer Holy Spirit everything we do not want because He knows what to do with it. Whatever we give to Holy Spirit that is not of God is done away with, but first we must look at it honestly and without fear, we must know what we are giving up in order to appreciate the truth, the love, the fearlessness of Sonship. Holy Spirit’s function is to help us – this is not a personal favor that He is bestowing upon those who have somehow distinguished themselves as “good” humans. Holy Spirit’s purpose is to Help all who ask. Holy Spirit helps us to remember God as He is and as we remember God as He is, we let go of all our fearful images – now and forever. Fear is over. We are no longer afraid, for we are God’s treasures, and He loves us each one, for we are as Christ to Him, and we are as Christ to one another.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 12 The Holy Spirit’s Curriculum. II The way to remember God 6-10. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For daily Workbook lessons visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com