VII. Looking Within
- Miracles demonstrate that learning has occurred under the right guidance, for learning is invisible and what has been learned can be recognized only by its results. Its generalization is demonstrated as you use it in more and more situations. You will recognize that you have learned there is no order of difficulty in miracles when you apply them to all situations. There is no situation to which miracles do not apply, and by applying them to all situations you will gain the real world. For in this holy perception you will be made whole, and the Atonement will radiate from your acceptance of it for yourself to everyone the Holy Spirit sends you for your blessing. In every child of God His blessing lies and in your blessing of the children of God is His blessing to you.
- Everyone in the world must play his part in its redemption, in order to recognize that the world has been redeemed. You cannot see the invisible. Yet if you see its effects, you know it must be there. By perceiving what it does, you recognize its being. And by what it does, you learn what it is. You cannot see your strengths, but you gain confidence in their existence as they enable you to act. And the results of your actions you can see.
- The Holy Spirit is invisible, but you can see the results of His presence, and through them you will learn that He is there. What He enables you to do is clearly not of this world, for miracles violate every law of reality as this world judges it. Every law of time and space, of magnitude and mass is transcended, for what the Holy Spirit enables you to do is clearly beyond all of them. Perceiving His results, you will understand where He must be, and finally know what He is.
- You cannot see the Holy Spirit, but you can see His manifestations. And unless you do, you will not realize He is there. Miracles are His witnesses and speak for His presence. What you cannot see becomes real to you only through the witnesses that speak for it. For you can be aware of what you cannot see, and it can become compellingly real to you as Its Presence becomes manifest through you. Do the Holy Spirit’s work, for you share in His function. As your function in heaven is creation, so your function on earth is healing. God shares His function with you in heaven, and the Holy Spirit shares His with you on earth. As long as you believe you have other functions, so long will you need correction. For this belief is the destruction of peace, a goal in direct opposition to the Holy Spirit’s purpose.
- You see what you expect, and you expect what you invite. Your perception is the result of your invitation, coming to you as you sent for it. Whose manifestations would you see? Of whose presence would you be convinced? For you will believe in what you manifest, and as you look out so will you see in. Two ways of looking at the world are in your mind, and your perception will reflect the guidance you have chosen.
- I am the manifestation of the Holy Spirit, and when you see me it will be because you have invited Him. For He will send you His witnesses if you will but look upon them. Remember always that you see what you seek, for what you seek you will find. Ego finds what it seeks, and only that. It does not find love, for that is not what it is seeking. Yet seeking and finding are the same, and if you seek for two goals you will find them, but you will recognize neither. You will think they are the same because you want both of them. The mind always strives for integration, and if it is split and wants to keep the split, it will still believe it has one goal by making it seem to be one.
- I said before that what you project or extend is up to you, but you must do one or the other, for that is a law of mind, and you must look in before you look out. As you look in, you choose the guide for seeing. And then you look out and behold his witnesses. This is why you find what you seek. What you want in yourself you will make manifest, and you will accept it from the world because you put it there by wanting it. When you think you are projecting what you do not want, it is still because you do want it. This leads directly to dissociation, for it represents the acceptance of two goals, each perceived in a different place; separated from each other because you made them different. The mind then sees a divided world outside itself, but not within. This gives it an illusion of integrity and enables it to believe that it is pursuing one goal. Yet as long as you perceive the world as split, you are not healed. For to be healed is to pursue one goal, because you have accepted only one and want but one. 
When we apply the Mind of Christ to all situations we demonstrate that we have learned from the right Teacher. We will not know that we are learning the real meaning of love through the guidance of Holy Spirit unless we demonstrate love to our brothers by being kind, patient, harmless, and helpful. When we see that we are completely harmless and that we harbor only goodwill and life’s best toward others, we will demonstrate the miracle of the changed mind. This will be strengthened within our consciousness when we not only bless our brothers with loving kindness and goodwill, but we treat our enemies with the same benevolence and grace.
Jesus tells us that when we apply the principle of miracles to every single situation and to every single encounter we gain the real world, the world as it was created to be. Here we find true laughter which is loving laughter. Here we find true joy and happy fellowship, which is not based upon uppity, weird, made-up rules about inclusion, but the natural inclusion that comes from a loving heart. Nobody is trying to win or persuade another person to “get saved,” for we are all Sons of God no matter what stage we are in the process of our awakening. I can embrace our diversity even as I can embrace our mutuality – it will not matter to me if you have a penis or a vagina or one of each, if you have blue eyes or brown eyes or four eyes, if you are fat or if you are buff. In the form you come to me, I will only see you as Christ sees you for this is you as you really are. In this holy perception is our wholeness. We are no longer taking each other apart, but we are seeing each other through the eyes of love.
An expression of love in this world is a miracle; in the world as it was created, Love is the natural state of our Being. In the Real World blessing one another is not a trite little thing we say after someone sneezes or a sanctimonious ritualized act, but rather a spontaneous, joyous, constant state of Being which arises from a wellspring of love and appreciation for Creation.
We all have a part to play in reacquainting ourselves with our natural state of Being. This is the world’s redemption; this is what lifts the curse of opposition and opposites. We move from the split mind of separation to the whole Mind of Christ. We bridge the great divide by not trying to accept it but rather stepping over to our holiness and our spirit and leaving the darkness behind. Shaking it off. Turning our back upon it forever. This is an invisible work. It is not measured in the same way that the world measures results and outcomes. If we rely on numbers, we will be deceived. If we rely on followers, we will be disappointed. And yet the effects of the love and acceptance we share knows no bounds. We can see the results of sharing love; we can see the changed lives and the transformation of Creation. The more we welcome our natural state of Being, the more we awaken to the Spirit of God and love with Holy Spirit instead of oppose our holy Being – it becomes very apparent that quietly and without any show or flouncing about, we lift the consciousness of every single situation – great or small. While we cannot see Love, Jesus assures us that when Love is the Source of our being, we will see results.
The miracles that Holy Spirit calls for us to do go beyond the laws of time and space, of magnitude and mass as we live and love and laugh with Holy Spirit. As we give our entire devotion and focus upon our holiness and our Spirit, we are aligned with all that is freedom and all that is liberty in the universe. The flesh no longer rules us but rather provides for us a temporary structure that is dedicated to healing and healing alone. We do not go beyond this world for any personal gain, to get our spiritual jollies, to show off to our Christian friends how blessed we are – we go beyond this world for the healing love which the world cannot provide. We live lives of quiet devotion and in the quietness, in the devotion we come forth to reflect and share the Voice for God within.
We must realize ourselves as Sons of God, as holy and as spirit before we realize what Holy Spirit is or we may mistakenly believe that Holy Spirit is an experience that falls upon us, gives us a good shaking and quaking, and then leaves us largely the same divided human that we were before! Miracles are the witness of Holy Spirit. When we love others, when we can let others shine and be happy for them, when we see creation with the Vision of Christ, when we know ourselves as Sons of God, our Holy Self is made manifest in us – there is no more divide because we no longer oppose what we are in God, we welcome it. And the more we welcome it, the more it becomes manifest in our life and we know what we are about.
We are creators with God in heaven, we are healers on earth with Christ. There is no other function worthy of God’s Son. Does this mean that we give up our jobs, leave our mates and families, travel to foreign lands, or in any way change our outward lives in our zeal for Christ? Do we accost everyone we see on the street, in the market, at the filling station with a “word from the Lord?” When I asked the Lord to show me what this looks like in practical application, He showed me to stay put and keep quiet! I take the Kingdom of God with me when I feed the chickens, call my friend on the phone, prepare our lunch, paddle about in the pool with my sister, and go to bed with my husband. As I clean my house, tidy my desk, wash my car, take my grandson to school, Holy Spirit is with me because all that I do is infused with love. And whether I am aware of it or not, Christ’s love spills over to everyone and everything that is in front of me, in back of me, all around me. And because I accept this love instead of reject it, I see it and respond to it in everything I see and in everything that is in front of me to do. My life becomes the “mission field,” and it is not my mission field alone, for it is the mission field of all that I encounter. It is a mission field that gives me no bragging rights, no special feeling of being anointed while others are not, of being infilled with a magical presence that sets me apart from others, but rather a healing spirit that no longer sees Creation as apart from me in any way. This heals for in this realm of consciousness, there is no divide. We are made whole and complete in Christ.
So when we get to paragraph five then, it all makes sense why Holy Spirit compels us to seek only love. When we walk in the holiness of love which is Spirit, we begin to recognize that we only bring forth what we welcome. When we become reaccustomed to Love, Joy, and Peace, we will have no interest in trouble. We cannot entertain ourselves with gossip and gore, for now we know what that invites. When we welcome only the power of Love, the happiness, which is Joy, the Peace that makes us one is what we manifest for we only take in from the outer realm what mirrors our higher minds – the Holy Spirit whom we have chosen as our Guide.
Christ is the manifestation of Holy Spirit and when we accept this, we align ourselves with the Mind of Christ because this is how we recognize our rightful inheritance in the Sonship of God. When we seek we will find whether we are seeking with Spirit or with ego – and so seeking and finding are one and the same. Because in our flesh we seek both love and that which opposes love, we find both but recognize neither because one is so enmeshed in the other it is impossible for us to know love as it is – we will think of love right along with all that opposes it. Accepting opposites as one drives us batty. We will not find happiness in the yin and the yang for the world of equally powerful opposites is the acceptance of division and separation, cycling in the prison of time and flesh rather than the freedom and liberty of the eternal and Spirit.
We will end today’s post with paragraph seven and continue on with the rest of this section in the following post. Today in your devotional practice remember that we project with ego or extend with Spirit all that is inside of us. We share what is in us and then it is reflected back to us in our outer world. We manifest what we want – we can deny this and victimize ourselves or we can take responsibility for it and heal all that would make us poor, deprived, or at any disadvantage. As long as we try to change the world without looking within, no matter how sincere our efforts and single-minded our purpose seems to be, we are simply adding to division, to more separateness, to more fear, hatred, and strife. When we choose Holy Spirit we choose the Vision of Christ which is love. When we see with love we heal with the only way to heal the world.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 12 The Holy Spirit’s curriculum. VII Looking within. 1-7 Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For 2021 daily Workbook lessons visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com