VIII. The Attraction of Love for Love
- Do you really believe that you can kill the Son of God? The Father has hidden His Son safely within Himself, and kept Him far away from your destructive thoughts, but you know neither the Father nor the Son because of them. You attack the real world every day and every hour and every minute, and yet you are surprised that you cannot see it. If you seek love in order to attack it, you will never find it. For if love is sharing, how can you find it except through itself? Offer it and it will come to you because it is drawn to itself. But offer attack and love will remain hidden, for it can live only in peace.
- God’s Son is as safe as His Father, for the Son knows his Father’s protection and cannot fear. His Father’s love holds Him in perfect peace, and needing nothing, He asks for nothing. Yet He is far from you whose Self he is, for you chose to attack him and he disappeared from your sight into his Father. He did not change, but you did. For a split mind and all its works were not created by the Father and could not live in the knowledge of Him.
- When you made visible what is not true, what is true became invisible to you. Yet it cannot be invisible in itself, for the Holy Spirit sees it with perfect clarity. It is invisible to you because you are looking at something else. Yet it is no more up to you to decide what is visible and what is invisible, then it is up to you to decide what reality is. What can be seen is what the Holy Spirit sees. The definition of reality is God’s, not yours. He created it, and He knows what it is. You who knew have forgotten, and unless He had given you a way to remember you would have condemned yourself to oblivion.
- Because of your Father’s Love you can never forget Him, for no one can forget what God Himself placed in His memory. You can deny it, but you cannot lose it. A Voice will answer every question you ask, and a vision will correct the perception of everything you see. For what you have made invisible is the only truth, and what you have not heard is the only Answer. God would reunite you with yourself and did not abandon you in your distress. You are waiting only for Him, and do not know it. Yet His memory shines in your mind and cannot be obliterated. It is no more past and future, being forever always.
- You have but to ask for this memory, and you will remember. Yet the memory of God cannot shine in a mind that has obliterated it and wants to keep it so. For the memory of God be can drawn only in a mind that chooses to remember, and that has relinquished the insane desire to control reality. You who cannot even control yourself should hardly aspire to control the universe. But look upon what you have made of it and rejoice that it is not so.
- Son of God be not content with nothing! What is not real cannot be seen and has no value. God could not offer His Son what has no value, nor could His Son receive it. You were redeemed the instant you thought you had deserted Him. Everything you made has never been and is invisible because the Holy Spirit does not see it. Yet what He does see is yours to behold, and through His vision your perception is healed. You have made invisible the only truth that this world holds. Valuing nothing, you have sought nothing. By making nothing real to you, you have seen it. But it is not there. And Christ is invisible to you because of what you have made visible to yourself.
- Yet it does not matter how much distance you have tried to interpose between your awareness and truth, God’s Son can be seen because his vision is shared. The Holy Spirit looks upon him and sees nothing else in you. What is invisible to you is perfect in this sight and encompasses all of it. He has remembered you because He forgot not the Father. You looked upon the unreal and found despair. Yet by seeking the unreal, what else could you find? The unreal world is a thing of despair, for it can never be. And you who share God’s Being with Him could never be content without reality. What God did not give you has no power over you, and the attraction of love for love remains irresistible. For it is the function of love to unite all things unto itself, and to hold all things together by extending its wholeness.
- The real world was given you by God in loving exchange for the world you made and the world you see. Only take it from the hand of Christ and look upon it. Its reality will make everything else invisible, for beholding it is total perception. And as you look upon it you will remember that it was always so. Nothingness will become invisible, for you will at last have seen truly. Redeemed perception is easily translated into knowledge, for only perception is capable of error and perception has never been. Being corrected it gives place to knowledge, which is forever the only reality. The Atonement is but the way back to what was never lost. Your Father could not cease to love His Son.
We must find the Kingdom of Love by sharing love. We thus join a virtuous cycle which expands rather than contracts. Continue to respond to the perceptual world, we will be like crazy puppets being pulled by strings and manipulated by the whims of the ego. We will not see the witnesses to love in our life on a consistent and certain basis. Our witnesses, or you could say our experiences will be a mixture of attack and love which will distress us and darken our journey to God with doubt and dismay. Only when we dedicate our entire Being to harmlessness and helpfulness can we know God and know ourselves as Sons of God, for Love can only dwell in peace and goodwill.
We often think of the crucifixion as a terrible blight upon the world in that we killed the Son of God, but the message of Christ is that we are all Sons of God. When we carry destructive thoughts about Creation and harbor ill will towards any part of Creation, we are crucifying the Creation of God. And God must protect the Real World from us; He must protect our true Being from the ego being of opposition and viciousness. We can never know our Sonship as long as we are not dedicated entirely to the loving perception.
Love did not create a divided mind in which one part is high and the other part is low. Love did not create a fleshy creature which is vulnerable and meaty and prone to disease, suffering, and torment – we did. This is the work of a split mind and it is impossible to take that split mind to the Kingdom of God.
Spiritual paths teach that we must see beyond the perceptual world in order to awaken and know reality. God defines reality because God created reality, He is reality. If we truly believed that this world was real we would not have religions or spiritual seeking of any kind. We would be content with the darkness and light, we would be content with birth and death cycles, we would know what this is all about by judging it with our physical senses and not be on a quest for knowledge or advancement of any kind. Our sojourn in time would not have advanced – we would have been content to remain at any given stage in our evolutionary development.
The Kingdom of God within each one of us prevents us from forgetting God entirely. We can deny Him. We can ignore Him. We can make idols that represent God and attend to them – but we cannot lose the Kingdom of God for we are the Kingdom of God for we are God’s Son. Jesus is not the lone ranger of Sonship. The Holy Spirit of Sonship is what we are, and it answers every question we have. The perfect vision of Christ corrects our every misconception and misperception. Even in our darkest moment, even in our resistance to this message, even when we are unwilling to push forward – the memory of our true Selves in God hold forth hope – for we have not been deserted. Everything we do then teaches us the path of God whether we know it or not. For the memory of God shines in our minds and cannot be obliterated – it is not a thing of the past nor is it a future event to look forward to – time has not worn it out or withered it with age. It simply is and evermore shall be.
The memory of God is drawn to the mind that has relinquished the weird and unholy desire to control reality. We do not get to put God down on paper or papyrus, or claim Him for our tribe, our church, our denominational dogma, or A Course in Miracles, for that matter. We don’t get to say God loves me and will destroy my enemies. We have to lay down everything we have been taught, all that we think is true and all that we have determined is the way to God, all the rules and rituals, all the rites of passage, all our traditions which have only the meaning of how long we have engaged in them. We have to remove ourselves from the maddening crowd who are very eager to tell us what God is and what God is not. We must be quiet and still and go directly to Him and ask Him. If I tell you something about God, it may be true or it may be something I made up intentionally or not. But when you ask God and God tells you, it will be truth. We are here to teach one another but we are not here to blindly accept each other’s word for truth for truth can only be found by going to the Source of Truth, to Truth Itself. Otherwise we get all kinds of contradictory gods and contradictory religions and unholy wars between conflicting ideas about God, and we can be assured there is no truth in the gods we make.
We don’t want a world that is governed by the gods we made! The gods we made are angry, temperamental, jealous and petty, and would make a mistaken creation and then torment it forever for being prone to do wrong. The gods we made demand blood and ordain the murder of our brothers. The gods we made identify us and judge us according to the physical forms we take in the world. The gods we made ask of us to do that which is clearly unholy in their name.
Jesus urges us to not be content with the nothingness we have made for God cannot look upon it and it has no value. This is not the world that God made for His Son and there is no way that we are to be content with it. In paragraph six Jesus tells us that from the moment we went our own way, we were redeemed. It was not God that cast us out, it was God that saves us from our own devices. Nothing exists that God did not make, and so no matter how real this all seems it is not the real world. The tainted world is a fictional realm, and we are puppets on a stage acting out our own made-up stories until we ask for the truth. The life we live on this stage is finite. It is very vulnerable. It is prone to selfishness, false pride, and selfishness. Because it has no everlasting value, it is a big nothing. It will seem very real to us, but it is really not there and as long as we believe in it our Sonship will be invisible to us because we made real to ourselves the fictional kingdom.
No matter what we have used to block the Vision of Christ it will become apparent to us when we ask. For our identity cannot be changed – we are God’s Son forever whether we remember it or not. When I asked God for truth I expected to see myself as a dirty rotten sinner, marred by all my lusty ways and ruthless choices. Imagine how utterly surprised and happy I was when God showed me my Self as pure, holy, loving, and lovely in His eyes! He did not see the works of the flesh; He saw me as He created me, and I was spotless and pure and forever. Only when I saw myself as God saw me could I be saved from despair. Only be removing my mind from what I had been taught was true about God and asking God for truth could I find my loving Father who set my mind free of all that would have used an unholy, bogus power over me.
When we discuss in this section the attraction of Love for Love, we are talking about this irresistible Love we have for God and that God has for us. There is nothing jealous or conniving, petty or threatening about Love. It is the function of Love to unite all things unto Itself and to hold all things together by extending its wholeness. Love is not divisive. It does not put itself in a little box and give itself a special name and hold people inside and tell them not to stray out of their little pen or else they will be destroyed. Love unites with Love. It holds things together and does not tear them apart.
We can have the Real World for it was given to us by God – but first we devote ourselves entirely to Love, for Love is God. We see the Real World through the Vision of Christ. The reality of the Real World ruins the perceptual world for you – for you will no longer find any value in what once kept you trapped within it. When we see the Real World we will remember it and while we will understand what had so enticed and tempted us from the perceptual world, we will never want the perceptual world again for it will be as nothing to us. We will see through all its vain attempts to imitate and to usurp the Reality of God. We will never be content again with its emptiness and vanity. We will be genuinely put-off by its strange beliefs and weird customs and accepted practices.
This process may feel fearful while we are still learning the Vision of Christ. As attracted as our Love for Love may be, our false perceptions – like gravity – seem to have a terrific downward pull. We are tempted to think of the Vision of Christ as a hard, lonely, upward path for we will experience the perceptual world as quicksand, sucking us in, holding us tight, keeping us from going any farther, splitting our minds further. Do not be deceived by this. Take the hand of Christ and look upon the Real World with Him until its reality makes everything else invisible. This may happen in an instant or it make takes years – but do not be concerned. We are not on the world’s clock and calendar. We are not to judge ourselves for anything – for we are not the judge, God is. In ending today’s devotional text, Jesus tells us that when we see the Real World and nothingness becomes invisible to us, we will have at last seen truly. This is when we know God and every question we ever had will be answered for God withholds knowledge from those who chose make-believe and fiction over truth. Atonement then is not a blood sacrifice, it is not a meaty offering, it is not found in giving things up for God and dressing a certain way or putting one category of people in submission to another category of people. Atonement is the way back to God – n recognizing that the lies we made up must be put down and that our perceptions are not to be trusted. We come back to what was never lost and what was never taken from us – for our Father could not and would not ever cease to love His Son
A Course in Miracles. Chapter 12 The Holy Spirit’s curriculum. VIII The Attraction of Love for Love. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For daily 2021 Workbook lesson visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com