VI. The Light of Communication
1. The journey that we undertake together is the exchange of dark for light, of ignorance for understanding. Nothing you understand is fearful. It is only in darkness and in ignorance that you perceive the frightening and shrink away from it to further darkness. And yet it is only the hidden that can terrify, not for what it is, but for its hiddenness. The obscure is frightening because you do not understand its meaning. If you did, it would be clear, and you would be no longer in the dark. Nothing has hidden value, for what is hidden cannot be shared, and so its value is unknown. The hidden is kept apart, but value always lies in joint appreciation. What is concealed cannot be loved, and so it must be feared.
2. The quiet light in which the Holy Spirit dwells within you is merely perfect openness, in which nothing is hidden and therefore nothing is fearful. Attack will always yield to love if it is brought to love, not hidden from it. There is no darkness that the light of love will not dispel unless it is concealed from love’s beneficence. What is kept apart from love cannot share its healing power, because it has been separated off and kept in darkness. The sentinels of darkness watch over it carefully, and you who made these guardians of illusion out of nothing are now afraid of them.
3. Would you continue to give imagined power to these strange ideas of safety? They are neither safe nor unsafe. They do not protect, neither do they attack. They do nothing at all, being nothing at all. As guardians of darkness and of ignorance look to them only for fear, for what they keep obscure is fearful. But let them go, and what was fearful would be so no longer. Without protection of obscurity only the light of love remains, for only this has meaning and can live in light. Everything else must disappear.
4. Death yields to life simply because destruction is not true. The light of guiltlessness shines guilt away because, when they are brought together, the truth of one must make the falsity of its opposite perfectly clear. Keep not guilt and guiltlessness apart, for your belief that you can have them both is meaningless. All you have done by keeping them apart is lose their meaning by confusing them with each other. And so you do not realize that only one means anything. The other is wholly without sense of any kind.
5. You have regarded the separation as a means for breaking your communication with your Father. The Holy Spirit reinterprets it as a means of reestablishing what was not broken but has been made obscure. All things you made have use to Him, for His most holy purpose. He knows you are not separate from God, but He perceives much in your mind that lets you think you are. All this and nothing else would He separate from you. The power of decision, which you made in place of the power of creation, He would teach you how to use on your behalf. You who made it to crucify yourself must learn of Him how to apply it to the holy cause of restoration.
6. You who speak in dark and devious symbols do not understand the language you have made. It has no meaning, for its purpose is not communication, but rather the disruption of communication. If the purpose of language is communication, how can this tongue mean anything? Yet even the strange and twisted effort to communicate through not communicating holds enough of love to make it meaningful if its interpreter is not its maker. You who made it are but expressing conflict, from which the Holy Spirit would release you. Leave what you would communicate to Him. He will interpret it to you with perfect clarity, for He knows with Whom you are in perfect communication.
7. You know not what you say, and so you know not what is said to you. Yet your interpreter perceives the meaning in your alien language. He will not attempt to communicate the meaningless. But He will separate out all that has meaning, dropping off the rest and offering your true communication to those who would communicate as truly with you. You speak two languages at once, and this must lead to unintelligent ability. Yet if one means nothing and the other everything, only that one is possible for purposes of communication. The other but interferes with it.
8. The Holy Spirit’s function is entirely communication. He therefore must remove whatever interferes with communication in order to restore it. Therefore, keep no source of interference from His sight, for He will not attack your sentinels. But bring them to Him and let His gentleness teach you that, in the light, they are not fearful, and cannot serve to guard the dark doors behind which nothing at all is carefully concealed. We must open all doors and let the light come streaming through. There are no hidden chambers in God’s temple. Its gates are open wide to greet His Son. No one can fail to come where God has called him, if he close not the door himself upon his Father’s welcome. 
Jesus introduces us today to the concept of no mystery in God. In God, our ignorance is exchanged for understanding. God does not keep Himself hidden from us nor are their questions and concerns that He demands we keep quiet about. The whole point to our return to God is to walk in the light – for that which is kept in darkness, that which is hidden from us, those things which we are taught are taboo and that we simply must accept and not buck up against is not of God. God did not create us to be dumbbells. God created us to be as Him. We can only love and appreciate what we know and understand.
Holy Spirit dwells in the light which is in our higher minds and there we have perfect freedom to discuss and question and seek for any kind of information we want to know. When we take the things we are afraid of to Holy Spirit, we are taught that love will always melt away all forms of attack. As humans we have lost our natural power – love does not seem to work in the realm of flesh and yet Jesus tells us that there is no darkness that the light of love will not dispel. And yet we protect our darkness – we build cathedrals and museums and celebrate holidays around illusions, we put others in charge of enforcing and reinforcing allegiance to illusion which we made out of nothing. And we are afraid of the enforcers that we have put in charge of all of laws and the gods and the idols we have made in darkness. It is a very weird and unnatural setup and yet we all pay homage to it and in our ignorance call it serving God and country and mankind.
Jesus is asking us to go beyond our fear of questioning all the idiocies and ignorance that we have been taught to accept as truth and bring them to the light. Holy Spirit does not slap our face or punch us in the chest when we bring our concerns to Him. When things do not add up, when we are taught to fear God and walk about on tippy toes to avoid His irate temper and unholy rages, when we are taught that some people are special and can take advantage of our bodies or our pocketbooks because they are holy and we are not, we go to Holy Spirit. We take it to the light. For where there is no love there is darkness and where there is a desire to keep people in ignorance and in fear, we find unholiness and sorrow.
We take all of our fears to Holy Spirit: our fear of rejection, of being mocked and scorned, of being outcasts within one’s own family and community, of being whispered about and teased – every fear no matter how big or small we must expose to the light of love. These fears are intimate and personal and yet they all speak of darkness and not of light. We bring them to Holy Spirit and let the light shine upon them and learn that love dispels all fear.
When our families reject us, our beloved children, nephews and nieces, our sisters and brothers, our aunts and uncles, grandparents and grandchildren and we feel the fear of loneliness and despair, we are giving imagined power to them to keep us safe and give us love. All of them combined cannot keep you safe and all of them combined cannot give you love. They are not for you, and they are not against you. They are as nothing at all. It is important that we learn this lesson for until we do we will ignorantly think that they have power over us. We will give them our allegiance and walk in fear of their rejection. We will let things go unaddressed that need to be addressed out of fear of their disapproval or their anger or their punishment.
As counterintuitive as it may seem to us in our unnatural state of flesh, letting all our allegiances to fear go teaches us that they have no power over us. This lesson is only as painful as our lack of understanding is in regard to it. For when we no longer look to our families, friends, community, churches, coaches, doctors, you-fill-in-the-blank as a form of protection, safety, and love, we find the Light of Love remains, no longer covered up by earthly substitutes that will always fail us. All other allegiances must disappear in the light of Holy Spirit for they were made from that which decays and is destined for death.
In the Light of Love, we learn what love truly is and our allegiances to all else simply melts away for if I love my niece and I don’t love your niece, I do not know what love is. If I love my children but do not love your children, I do not know what love is. If I think I am going to fly away in the sky with Jesus and leave you behind, I don’t know what love is. As humans we are incapable of understanding love on our own – we have adapted our “love” to a very weak form of allegiance to certain ideas about who we should love and whom we should not. We have decided that love looks like exchanging bodily fluids in one context and letting what comes from this bind us together in ongoing obligations and responsibilities that reward us by giving us a very precarious sense of warmth and belonging, and the cost for this is guilt.
For we all let each other down in the flesh. No matter how hard we work at it, no matter how much we give, no matter how much we do – we can never relax into the love offered by our humanity. We get tired, we get cranky, we say the wrong things, we have agendas, we go unappreciated, jealousy seeps in, one is compared to another and found wanting – I do not have to go on because each one of us have experienced what love turns out to be in the flesh realm. Even when we finally seem to get it right illness, aging, disease, and death moves in and takes it all away. Try to find solace in this. Put a pretty casket on it, buy a headstone and decorate it with flowers and water them with tears – this is the promise of humanity and all it holds sacred.
The light of purity shines all guilt attached to our substitutes of love away for when we bring them together – the real deal makes the false deal perfectly clear in our minds.. We have confused the issue – we have tried to keep some things for love and light and other things for indifference and darkness; we have tried to say we are both yin and yang, we are light and dark, we are human and Spirit. We love our country but hate yours. Our family is smart, good-looking, and funny and your family is dull and stupid and funny-looking. We have made a big puddle of egoism and guilt for we have confused love with hate; we have confused light with darkness; we have settled for specialness and separateness when we were made for Sonship and unity.
When we chose a different will from God, we gave up our power of creation. No matter how flash our cars, our technology, our ability to communicate with others across the world, it is not true communication for true communication is loving and creative, mutual and blessed. True communication is forever. Holy Spirit teaches us how to use our wills to restore Creation and break free of the repetitive birth and death cycles of time.
From the time I can remember communication in this world discouraged me. Our tongues cannot seem to pronounce anything of real meaning, the who and the what of what we really want to say to one another. We can speak of our needs, we can give advice, talk about our experiences, share recipes, tell stories, but to speak of the ineffable love that we have for one another, the experiences we have with God, the awe and appreciation we have in the presence of that which cannot be seen or heard or touched with our flesh senses – is next to impossible. Our human language does not accommodate to Love. When we try to express our yearning for God or the ways in which God reveals Himself to our minds and hearts we end up sounding like kooks! We say it all wrong. We try to say something helpful with love and we end up hurting feelings and causing rifts. Even those who seem to have perfect command of the language screw up!
When we stay attuned to Holy Spirit, we no longer feel compelled to talk. We do not rely on our ability to communicate; we rely on the Spirit which uses all things to teach all things. If I say something that offends you and I take it to Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit uses it to teach you and me both what we need to learn about trusting in Him to be our communicator. Jesus tells us that we speak our human languages, and we speak our Spirit language and the conflict between the two prevents us from getting anything straight.
Holy Spirit ensures us enhanced communication skills because they are true communication skills. Our function is to keep the human part of us in control. We are to be quiet and calm and not make dramatic stories out of our experiences in the flesh. We are not to let things frighten us or people offend us. Every worry and care that we can bring quietly to Holy Spirit and give over to the higher mind of Christ, the more we will learn fearlessness. Jesus tells us to open our minds and hearts and let the light shine through – to keep nothing hidden, to no longer walk in darkness, slinking about and afraid, yapping about nothing in order to avoid speaking truly. Nothing and nobody can ever keep us from God except our decision to linger longer in a realm of opposition.
Today in your personal devotional habit, ask Holy Spirit to teach you true communication. Practice quietness and goodwill. Refuse to let anything or anyone ruffle your feathers. Give every concern you have to Holy Spirit – no matter how trivial or how challenging. Holy Spirit will teach you the joy that comes in fearless communication with God and with all of Creation. Practice the communication of love with your kids, your mates, your pets, your coworkers. Many times this means you do not use human language at all but rather let your holiness and your Spirit say it all through your thoughts and through your peace and tranquility.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 14 Teaching for truth. VI The light of communication. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For daily 2021 Workbook lessons, visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com