X. The Equality of Miracles 7-12
7. The only judgment involved is the Holy Spirit’s one division into two categories; one of love, and the other the call for love. You cannot safely make this division, for you are much too confused either to recognize love, or to believe that everything else is nothing but a call for love. You are too bound to form, and not to content. What you consider content is not content at all. It is merely form, and nothing else. For you do not respond to what a brother really offers you, but only to the particular perception of his offering by which the ego judges it.
8. The ego is incapable of understanding content and is totally unconcerned with it. To the ego if the form is acceptable the content must be. Otherwise it will attack the form. If you believe you understand something of the “dynamics” of the ego, let me assure you that you understand nothing of it. For of yourself you could not understand it. The study of the ego is not the study of the mind. In fact, the ego enjoys studying itself, and thoroughly approves the undertakings of students who would “analyze” it, thus approving its importance. Yet they but study form with meaningless content. For their teacher is senseless, though careful to conceal this fact behind impressive sounding words, but which lack any consistent sense when they are put together.
9. This is characteristic of the ego’s judgments. Separately, they seem to hold, but put them together and the system of thought that arises from joining them is incoherent and utterly chaotic. For form is not enough for meaning, and the underlying lack of content makes a cohesive system impossible. Separation therefore remains the ego’s chosen condition. For no one alone can judge the ego truly. Yet when two or more join together in searching for truth, the ego can no longer defend its lack of content. The fact of union tells them it is not true.
10. It is impossible to remember God in secret and alone. For remembering Him means you are not alone and are willing to remember it. Take no thought of yourself, for no thought you hold is for yourself. If you would remember your Father, let the Holy Spirit order your thoughts and give only the answer with which He answers you. Everyone seeks for love as you do but knows it not unless he joins with you in seeking it. If you undertake the search together, you bring with you a light so powerful that what you see is given meaning. The lonely journey fails because it has excluded what it would find.
11. As God communicates to the Holy Spirit in you, so does the Holy Spirit translate his communications through you, so you can understand them. God has no secret communications, for everything of Him is perfectly open and freely accessible to all, being for all. Nothing lives in secret, and what you would hide from the Holy Spirit is nothing. Every interpretation you would lay upon a brother is senseless. Let the Holy Spirit show him to you and teach you both his love and his call for love. Neither his mind nor yours holds more than these two orders of thought.
12. The miracle is the recognition that this is true. Where there is love, your brother must give it to you because of what it is. But where there is a call for love, you must give it because of what you are. Earlier I said this course will teach you how to remember what you are, restoring to you your Identity. We have already learned that this Identity is shared. The miracle becomes the means of sharing It. By supplying your Identity wherever It is not recognized, you will recognize It. And God Himself, Who wills to be with His Son forever, will bless each recognition of His Son with all the Love He holds for him. Nor will the power of all His Love be absent from any miracle you offer to His Son. How, then, can there be any order of difficulty among them?
Holy Spirit’s judgment involves one of love or the call for love – nothing else. There is no agenda in it, there is nothing in it for our human selves, so therefore it makes no sense to our human side or those who would judge us accordingly. This is why I teach that it is important not to broadcast miracles – for they are acts of love that the world simply cannot understand and will resent you because of them. We are too bound to the world and the way in which the world systems are set up. What we think has meaning has no meaning at all in the Spirit. This means that our ego is gratified by attention, sex, money, cruelty, flash, food, and drink but none of these things have any real content or meaning outside of time.
When someone approaches us to engage with them sexually, we can either be grateful that we are still attractive in that way, we can become indignant and reproachful if we are committed to someone else or the gesture is otherwise inappropriate, we can respond by laughing in their face, telling all our friends about it, or by following through with their suggestions. Jesus tells us however that when we do this, we are only responding to form which has no content and we are missing what our brother is really offering us, we are responding with our ego who judges his offers in a multitude of different, conflicting ways.
With Holy Spirit there are only two ways to judge what our brother offers us – he is either showing us love or calling for love. When we let Holy Spirit judge each situation, we are no longer driven by our sexual impulses or our human desire for connection. When we respond to our brothers in the Spirit we go beyond the earthly form of their desire to connect with us. We do not confuse sexual activity with love. We do not make fun, we do not give lectures, we do not run and hide, we do not hop in bed with just anyone in a desire to make ourselves feel as if we count. We do not broadcast their unchaste desires. Instead we recognize their need for love, and we see God in them. And when we see God in them, they see God in us. When we see God in each other, we are not prone to be promiscuous, or allow our sexual desires to rule us or get us in trouble or bring sorrow, pain, or shame.
Sex is just one way in which we can get it all wrong by going with our own judgment. When we make the mistake of making judgments without Holy Spirit, we will end up wondering what in the world we were thinking. The ego will engage us throughout our whole lives in meaningless, unloving relationships doing meaningless, unloving things that fill our minds with angst and sorrow, with nonsensical tripe that leads nowhere. No matter how high we go or how low we sink, as long as we are making judgments and going without the guidance of Holy Spirit, nothing of true and everlasting value will come of our strivings. We will run into this lack of meaning in our careers, in our marriages, in our friendships, in our criminal activities and in our educational endeavors. No matter how impressed others may be with our credentials, no matter how exciting or adventurous our lives may seem to others, we will find them to mean nothing without God, for we are all made for and by God Who is Love. And love is what we are and what we want. There is no substitute for it, all idols that we put in place of Love will fail us.
It seems perfectly reasonable to the ego’s judgment to chase after a variety of conquests or that special someone, that particular academic degree or the big heist, that car, or boat, or rocket, that house, a big family or no family at all. And yet it is all form – and it is all in the perceptual world – without and not within. All things in the outer world are chaotic. Anything can happen at any time. All things we judge as having value and being worthy of our efforts will fail us outside of ourselves.
And yet when we join two or more together in going within to the truth, when we see past our differences, our outward perception of separateness and specialness, when we recognize our mutuality – the fact of this union between us denies the ego’s separateness, denies the ego’s judgment that we will find safety and security, meaning and purpose in the world of perception and physicality.
Jesus reminds us in paragraph ten that it is impossible to remember God in secret or by one’s self. When we remember God, we remember each other. When I think of only me, I am not thinking at all! It is only when I think of us as one and remember our unity in God, that I am holding thoughts that have any meaning or purpose or substance. We like to think we are more than love – that we don’t need it, that we don’t want it, that it is too demanding and controlling and therefore dangerous to us. We built all kinds of barriers and make all kinds of rules to keep love at bay, to keep it where we can dole it out where we see fit, to protect ourselves from ruining us. But when we put down our barriers to it together, when we ask for it, when we seek love – we find God. Searching for love together – you and me – and refusing to get it mixed up with any of the flesh substitutes for it, illuminates our path to God and infuses our minds with meaning. This is why it is important that we seek for love with others for to seek love for oneself will always fail for love must be shared by all for all.
Holy Spirit translates that God would have us know – there are no mysteries, there are no secrets, there is nothing hidden from us – God desires for us to know Him, for He is Love and Love must be shared. God does not share Himself with only a select few, He shares Himself with all of us who seek Him in Spirit and in Truth. There are no Lone Rangers in God, there are no big cheeses, no special tribes or people. Jesus tells us that secrecy can harbor nothing that lives. The secrets you keep from me, and I keep from you mean nothing – they can mean nothing because they are not shared. A secret love is not love. A hidden vice is not hidden. All things are known by Holy Spirit and there is nothing that Holy Spirit will keep from us when we ask, and we meet the condition of love.
What is the condition of love? That we see our brothers with love and that we hear their calls for love. That we recognize that all other things we would judge have no meaning and no place in our minds should be accorded to that which has no meaning. We cannot know our brother without the interpretation of love. We will assume all kinds of things about each other. We will make up stories based upon our human perceptions, and we will act upon these stories as if they were real. We will make enemies of some and idols of others – there will not be the mutuality of brotherhood but the jealousy and contempt and comparison of ego. We will think of this as normal and natural and when the thought occurs to us that there is something mean and ungodly about this, the darkness will come in and blight the thought from our mind by justifying that which cannot be justified.
We come to know that a miracle is recognizing our mutuality as Sons of God. We could say it that we are Sons of Love. Made by love and for love and with love – my love extended to you extends your love to me because this is what love is and how love operates. In A Course in Miracles we learn our true Identity is not found in the “me,” but the “we.” The miracle is in the sharing it. When you forget who you are in God, I will remind you. When I forget, your love will remind me. When we offer God to each other, we offer Love and all the love that is God is there with us restoring our awareness to Sonship, restoring our awareness to equality and oneness. There is nothing hard about this – it is no harder for Love to love you than it is for Love to love me or vice versa. And when we judge with Holy Spirit it is the same for us – there is no order of difficulty in miracles.
 A Course in Miracles. Chapter 14 Teaching for truth. X The equality of miracles 7-12. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For daily 2021 Workbook lessons visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com