1. What is a sense of sickness but a sense of limitation? Of a splitting off and separating from? A gap that is perceived between you and your brother, and what is now seen as health? And so the good is seen to be outside, the evil, in. God is the Alternate to dreams of fear. Who shares in them can never share in Him. But who withdraws his mind from sharing them is sharing Him. There is no other choice. Except you share it, nothing can exist. And you exist because God shared His Will with you, that His creation might create.
2. It is the sharing of the evil dreams of hate and malice, bitterness and death, of sin and suffering and pain and loss, that makes them real. Unshared, they are perceived as meaningless. The fear is gone from them because you did not give them your support. Where fear has gone there love must come, because there are but these alternatives. Where one appears, the other disappears. And which you share becomes the only one you have. You have the one that you accept, because it is the only one you wish to have.
3. You share no evil dreams if you forgive the dreamer and perceive that he is not the dream he made. And so he cannot be a part of yours, from which you both are free. Forgiveness separates the dreamer from the evil dream, and thus releases him. Remember if you share an evil dream, you will believe you are the dream you share. And fearing it, you will not want to know your own Identity, because you think that It is fearful. And you will deny your Self and walk upon an alien ground which your Creator did not make, and where you seem to be a something you are not. You will make war upon your Self, Which seems to be your enemy and will attack your brother, as a part of what you hate. There is no compromise. You are your Self or an illusion. What can be between illusion and the truth? A middle ground, where you can be a thing that is not you, must be a dream, and cannot be the truth.
4. You have conceived a little gap between illusions and the truth to be the place where all your safety lies, and where your Self is safely hidden by what you have made. Here is a world established that is sick, and this the world the body’s eyes perceive. Here are the sounds it hears; the voices that its ears were made to hear. Yet sights and sounds the body can perceive are meaningless. It cannot see nor hear. It does not know what seeing is, what listening is for. It is as little able to perceive as it can judge or understand or know. Its eyes are blind; its ears are deaf. It can not think and so it cannot have effects.
5. What is there God created to be sick? And what that He created not can be? Let not your eyes behold a dream; your ears bear witness to illusion. They were made to look upon a world that is not there; to hear the voices that can make no sound. Yet are there other sounds and other sights that can be seen and heard and understood. For eyes and ears are senses without sense, and what they see and hear they but report. It is not they that hear and see, but you, who put together every jagged piece, each senseless scrap and shred of evidence, and make a witness to the world you want. Let not the body’s ears and eyes perceive these countless fragments seen within the gap that you imagined and let them persuade their maker his imaginings are real.
6. Creation proves reality because it shares the function all creation shares. It is not made of little bits of glass, a piece of wood, a thread or two, perhaps, all put together to attest its truth. Reality does not depend on this. There is no gap that separates the truth from dreams and from illusions. Truth has left no room for them in any place or time. For it fills every place and every time and makes them wholly indivisible.
7. You who believe there is a little gap between you and your brother do not see that it is here you are as prisoners in a world perceived to be existing here. The world you see does not exist, because the place where you perceive it is not real. The gap is carefully concealed in fog and misty pictures rise to cover it with vague uncertain forms and changing shapes, forever unsubstantial and unsure. Yet in the gap is nothing. And there are no awesome secrets and no darkened tombs where terror rises from the bones of death. Look at the little gap and you behold the innocence and emptiness of sin that you will see within yourself when you have lost the fear of recognizing love. 
There is only sickness and insanity, sin and shame in the sense of separation that has splintered our perception of Creation. While we may consider it healthy to have spaces between us, to separate our bodies from each other, to erect boundaries to keep us safe from each other, we fail to recognize that the spaces and outlines between us are not reality. Creation is complete and whole and forever joined. When we mistake the brokenness and the fear and suspicions that come between us for reality, we share an unwholesome realm that turns us into something we are not.
God did not create us to be predators upon Creation. God did not create us to be full of fear, to live behind locked doors, to carry weapons formed to maim and kill other parts of Creation. God did not create a world that has its teeth set us against us. God did not create a world where we must sweat and labor and sacrifice for every morsel of our subsistence. Share this realm, stay involved in its drama and trauma, cherish its mysteries and murders, become addicted to its hate and malice, bitterness and death, and we make the evil dreams real.
But stop sharing in it, step out of the dreams, refuse to become involved, keep your mind focused upon the reality of God’s love and the dreams of this world can torment us no longer. We are free of them because love comes to us when we stop supporting and sharing the dreams of fear, of blame, of sin and shame. There is one Alternate to dreams of fear and it is God the Father and Creator of all that is and ever will be. This is our Father, and our Father is Love. Deny all that would oppose Love and Love is all that remains. Deny all that would oppose Truth and Truth remains. There is no other alternative. I am my Self only when I refuse to be a poor substitute for what I really am. What stands between the illusion of me and the truth about me? What stands between the truth about you and the illusion of you? A middle ground, a gap, a space, a separation, a divide. And in that gap between us, we make up stories about each other. You will blame me, and I will blame you for whatever comes between us. I will see things my way and you will see things your way for we have broken up into pieces. In that gap we cannot ever see Reality for we are looking with our flesh eyes and our flesh ears designed to see and hear things that keep us broken. We are looking from eyes designed to exist in a world of limitations, a world of hierarchies, a world devised on a belief in opposition and opposites.
In paragraph six, Jesus teaches that Creation proves reality – it is not made of little bits and pieces of this and that. Reality does not depend on anything you can “prove.” Reality is – it has not divisions that separate it from unreality. There is no room in reality for doubts and uncertainties, for questions and arguments. Reality fills every place and every time and is whole and indivisible.
Today in your personal devotions, invite Holy Spirit to help you understand the Alternate to dreams of fear. There is nothing in the gap between you and me. There is nothing in the gap between us and God. Look carefully and prayerfully at the empty spaces perceived by your flesh eyes that stand between you and all of Creation and see that it simply cannot be. There is only innocence. Sin has no meaning. All that would seem to take place in those empty spaces is as nothing when we lose our fear of recognizing the Love of our Father that created us as one.
A Course in Miracles. Chapter 28 The undoing of fear v the alternate to dreams of fear. Foundation for Inner Peace, Second Edition (1992).
For daily 2021 Workbook lessons visit www.i-choose-love.com courtesy of Linda R.
Audio credit: www.eckiefriar.com